What's new
What's new

Buggered Bridgeport Mill Oil Fill Cup

beeser

Cast Iron
The oil fill cup just below the speed dial on my Bridgeport Mill (2007) apparently busted off when in the previous owner's possession. All that remained was what looked like a plugged hole. I was finally able to extract the plug or body of what was in there before and found the tapped hole on an angle. See pic below. Is the fill cup at this location different than the one on the right side? The tapped hole is definitely smaller in diameter. Also, is it supposed to be on an angle or is it just sloppy manufacturing?
001.jpg

The oil fill cup just below the speed dial on my Bridgeport Mill (2007) apparently busted off when in the previous owner's possession. All that remained was what looked like a plugged hole. I was finally able to extract the plug or body of what was in there before and found the tapped hole on an angle. See pic below. Is the fill cup at this location different than the one on the right side? The tapped hole is definitely smaller in diameter. Also, is it supposed to be on an angle or is it just sloppy manufacturing?
View attachment 218380

AFAIK Bridgeport - or any other machine tool builder - were too busy making product to also make their own oilers.

For any need of this general class, check MMC or the other "usual suspects". See what angles they offer for the appropriate type of oiler and thread size.

One of them should match to the angle of the hole you have. You can then order the same part the maker's purchasing agent did back in the day.

One or two. Not hundreds at a go, of course!

:)

After doing a little research the oil cup is a Gits 01207, L shaped cup with 1/8-27 NPT threads and easy enough to replace. What bothers me now is the slight angle it was drilled and tapped to the face of the housing. I'd guestimate it about 10 degrees off. I can't imagine why it would have to be that way other than sloppy manufacturing. And this is supposed to be an US made Bridgeport. Apparently crappy workmanship knows no borders.

After doing a little research the oil cup is a Gits 01207, L shaped cup with 1/8-27 NPT threads and easy enough to replace. What bothers me now is the slight angle it was drilled and tapped to the face of the housing. I'd guestimate it about 10 degrees off. I can't imagine why it would have to be that way other than sloppy manufacturing. And this is supposed to be an US made Bridgeport. Apparently crappy workmanship knows no borders.

Ah.. well mayhap they NEEDED to hit that angle? How's the outlet end aligned?
Gits reservoir capability as it is, I doubt it was worth fitting a mere 10-degree elbow.

Anyway.. BeePee were mass-market medium priced goods. It wasn't ever meant to be a Moore, Gorton, Pratt & Whitney, or K&T, after all.

How about a fitting to a line back to a central lube / one-shot rig?

Have you ever seen a Pipe Thread??? It's tapered so the deeper you screw it in it gets tight....order a Gits replacement with 1/8 pipe thread. Oh if you didn't know pipes are measured via the inside diameter.

Sure are some dumb ass questions on here lately. A tapered hole at 10 degree's...We need to start teaching shop classes again in schools.... I am sorry I said that, But my God ..hard to believe an adult didn't know that!!

Have you ever seen a Pipe Thread??? It's tapered so the deeper you screw it in it gets tight....order a Gits replacement with 1/8 pipe thread. Oh if you didn't know pipes are measured via the inside diameter.

Sure are some dumb ass questions on here lately. A tapered hole at 10 degree's...We need to start teaching shop classes again in schools.... I am sorry I said that, But my God ..hard to believe an adult didn't know that!!

Read the post(s) again. The hole itself is drilled and tapped 10 degrees from the face of the casting. No one mentioned anything about a 10 degree taper. And yes the replacement is a Gits 01207, L shaped cup with 1/8-27 NPT threads as already mentioned. Richard King - NPT means it's a pipe thread.

Monarchist - It's possible the hole was aligned for a specific reason. That's why I was hoping someone with a similar machine would respond with how theirs is setup. I have a replacement cup on order and will see if it can be fitted without hitting the side of the casting. If that doesn't work I'll probably just use a pipe plug and remove it for lubrication.

I read it several times before and again and it still sounds goofy. Who cares if it is off 10 degree's? It sounds like your saying it is tapered at a 10 degree angle, plus your pictures shows a pipe thread. Put the new one in an use it. Why waste our time asking such an anal question? (Anal as who cares if it's offset 10 degree's. Its a fricking oil hole)

How about a fitting to a line back to a central lube / one-shot rig?

Monarchist, because maybe that cup gets Velocite 10 (JR likes DTE-24 or DTE-light, AKA ISO-32AW and ISO-32) and the the one-shot has Vactra Way Oil in it???

beeser, pay attention to JR, he's an old (sorry JR) BP hand, and knows of what he says. Watch the oil holes with wicks in them...

John

Monarchist, because maybe that cup gets Velocite 10 (JR likes DTE-24 or DTE-light, AKA ISO-32AW and ISO-32) and the the one-shot has Vactra Way Oil in it???
I had HEARD there were folks too pig-headed to even consider rigging multiple supply central lube systems. They've been around at least since War One, after all.

Hadn't really believed there was so much "resistance" to the concept until now, 'specially with all the new or surplused kit in the channel that makes an add-on cheap and easy.

But wot the hey - mebbe a BeePee just isn't allowed to be given an extra ration of "convenience"?

:)

I read it several times before and again and it still sounds goofy. Who cares if it is off 10 degree's? It sounds like your saying it is tapered at a 10 degree angle, plus your pictures shows a pipe thread. Put the new one in an use it. Why waste our time asking such an anal question? (Anal as who cares if it's offset 10 degree's. Its a fricking oil hole)

You need to read it one more time or pay attention. I said the cup may not fit because of the L shape. And if you don't care why are you wasting time reading it?

beeser, pay attention to JR, he's an old (sorry JR) BP hand, and knows of what he says. Watch the oil holes with wicks in them...

John

That's correct. The oil cup in front which provides lubrication for the quill uses a different fluid.

Wow! And I thought that's what public forums were for... asking questions.

That's correct. The oil cup in front which provides lubrication for the quill uses a different fluid.

Not unique to a BeePee.

But do the "time" math.

We spend 20 to 40 years carrying two or three oilers, some with specialized tips. Maybe two different grease guns as well.

Becomes habit - a good one. Hopefully, anyway - so we don't give it a thought that we use those every shift or so - sometimes more than once, for a long working lifetime.

Central system with reservoirs is a nuisance to DIY, but.. only the one time per-each machine tool that doesn't already have at least partial coverage ex-factory.

Once in-place, we can SEE what is left in a reservoir and top it up far less often.

As importantly - we have fewer excuses to SKIP a lube cycle 'coz we are too pressed for time right in the moment to go-fetch then fiddle with the loose kit. Which itself ALSO needs refilled anyway.

Back