What's new
What's new

Buying a Bridgeport slotting shaping head -what issues/faults to look out for

stueeee

Plastic
I have been offered a Bridgeport Shaper/slotting attachment and mounting bracket which I am going to travel "up country" to view this weekend.

According the vendor, it is little used as it came from a school.

I haven't used one of these since I was an apprentice, which was a very long time ago :)

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for when I go to view it? -I don't mind doing some adjustment/tidying but I am keen to avoid another machine tool restoration project :rolleyes5:

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The most common problem is broken teeth on the stroke adjusting pinion. Loosen the nut that clamps the stroke adjustment. You will have to loosen it4 or more turns, as the clamping washer underneath the nut has a short roll pin to hold it in position. See if the stroke can be adjusted from short to long and then back again. If you can fully adjust the stroke both directions a couple of times the pinion is ok. I wouldn't call the broken pinion a deal breaker if the head is in otherwise good shape, just a negotiating point. The pinions break easily when someone forgets to tighten the stroke adjusting nut before starting to cut.

If its broken its not a bad fix if you can make a new pinion or weld up the teeth. I bought a beautiful replacement pinion made by one of the members here but I don't remember his new screen name. I used one of my heads several times with the pinion broken, its just a pain to get the stroke length acceptable.

Thanks very much for those useful replies. A shaping/slotting head isn't a tool that is going to get everyday use in my shop, but I have felt the need for such an item on lots of jobs; I definitely don't have the space for a conventional shaper in what is already a crowded area. Whereas the slotting attachment will be up out of the way on the back of the ram when it's not being used.

Thanks again, Stuart.

Nothing new to see here. Just checking to see if the picture works since the photobucket changes.

Bridgeport-Slotter-Pinion-12a.jpg

Bridgeport-Slotter-Pinion-11.jpg

Bridgeport-Slotter-Pinion-6a.jpg

It's working - and beautiful work!

Well, thank you, kind Sir. I appreciate it. Hopefully the gentleman that bought that one has good success in getting his "E" head working well again. Supposed to be finishing up the installation tomorrow, I believe. I do take some satisfaction helping in some minor way to keep some of the older machines running with what little knowledge I have accumulated over the years. :)

Back