What's new
What's new

Can Anyone help me Identify this Lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceubank

Plastic
IMG_20180419_224147.jpg

Hello, I am new to the forums and fairly new to lathes as well; I have experience in mills, and limited knowledge of Lathes. A shop here has this lathe pictured and I am trying to do a comparison of the current one with one to potentially buy, but as you can see the name plate has been removed. What sort identifying marks can be used to determine the precise model or make of the machine? Thanks.

-Austin

View attachment 226334

Hello, I am new to the forums and fairly new to lathes as well; I have experience in mills, and limited knowledge of Lathes. A shop here has this lathe pictured and I am trying to do a comparison of the current one with one to potentially buy, but as you can see the name plate has been removed. What sort identifying marks can be used to determine the precise model or make of the machine? Thanks.
The data plates (MUCH better photos needed!) and the "format", rather than the number itself, of any permanent serial number are possibilities.

From the photo you HAVE posted, "Taiwanese Generic" or even "PRC Generic" are possible, and "light duty" or "hobby grade" are certainties.

The short carriage is the giveway.

That works OK, or at least "so-so", brand-new, allows more travel for a given overall bed length.

It also has a MUCH higher rate of wear than longer carriages, worse-yet for poor lubrication.
And this one is a long way from new. Further impairing the goodness of stiffness? It appears to have been "raised". Check the tailstock base.

MANY end-seller brands have been applied over several decades. Not essential to know which.

Just keep looking. Find better lathes to choose from.

Taiwan - and even more so, South Korea - (Wacheaon//Huacheon) did make some rather decent lathes.

This was never one of them, nor ever will be.

Don't listen to Termite , that is a Harrison M300, made in the UK and not a bad lathe at all. They are not a heavy duty machine and that one looks like it may have had a hard life ,condition is the key thing.

As said that’s a Harrison M300 lathe

I have one myself at home and it’s a great bit of kit and plenty accurate enough for me,

Since you have an answer (Harrison), I'm locking the thread instead of moving it to General where is should have been posted. Nothing to do with Hardinge or BP.
JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back