What's new
What's new

CAn you use a 2 hp motor in a series 1 with a 1 hp motor

cvuxton

Plastic
More power...or not. I saw an ad for a 2 hp, 3 phase motor out of a BP head (Series I?). My beauty has a 1 hp, 3 phase. Can I swap motors to get more power? Mine is a series 1 with stepped pulley system.

Thanks,

Chris

When BP came out with the 2J head (Series I was a marketing scheme started by Textron), they were all 1hp motors. Because of the loss in power from the VSD (variable speed drive, AKA Reeves drive), there were complaints. So, they went to 1.5hp motors. With the intro of the CNC conversions (by BP), there was a need for more hp. It was cheaper to put 2hp motors on everything that to stock and support another motor. That's why everything now is 2hp.

Now, I'll ask: Have you ever stalled your mill? Do you really need more HP?

I've never tripped the VFD on mine and I've still had it shakin'. Yes, you can change, but why? Most people never use 3/4 hp on a mill, let alone 2. Put a clamp on ammeter on your mill and see what current draw is. My guess is that you're not close to full load.

I run a 2.5" face mill useing APKX inserts. 0.200 DOC full width without a problem. Anything over that, and the mill want's to take dance lessons. IIRC, that was about a 2 amp draw or about 0.65 hp.
JR

To add... The step pulley J head belt is only a fractional hp rated unit.

I have a 1.5 hp on my VFD equipped J head, never tripped VFD overload, even at 15hz.

Vari drive 2 hp (2J) motors have different shafts, than 1 hp step pulley motors...

Thanks. I think I'll stick with my 1hp. Off topic, went to see my ortho guy today about getting my knee replaced. I mentioned getting a BP for my new shop and he came alive. The man doesn't know what he'd do with it but when has that kept any of us from buying one?

Chris

Thanks. I think I'll stick with my 1hp. Off topic, went to see my ortho guy today about getting my knee replaced. I mentioned getting a BP for my new shop and he came alive. The man doesn't know what he'd do with it but when has that kept any of us from buying one?

Chris

Be grateful for that.

Weren't for the BeePee mystique convincing so many folk to snatch up ever' one as comes along, the fool things would run ever' bar and hoorhouse on-planet outta space bitchin' as to not having real work to do.

WTF what he does in his spare time have to do with how good a doctor he is? There is absolutely no logic to that. I want the best doctor there is to work on me. So far, I've done pretty good. AFAIK, none of them have been into machining. In fact, one of my doctors was just in a healthcare magazine for a procedure done on me. I'm sure glad he didn't use a BP.
JR

Back