What's new
What's new

Crashed a Clausing Lathe....Broken....what broke???

ILWTmatt

Plastic
Was threading on a buddys Clausing lathe Model #5914 (circa 1960/70's)

I got to my releif and tried to disengage the lever, but it hesitated, and the blade dug into my work-piece while I threw the lever again to disenge the lathe.

The aftermath was that the tooling never got near the 3-jaw, the tooling dug into my work piece before I could get it shut down.

The only damage to the machine, is now when you throw the 'stop' lever that used to stop the turning of the 4-jaw....now when you throw the brake lever, it disengages everything, but the 4-jaw doesn't immediately stop, like it once did.
Now the 4-jaw spins itself to a slow stop, after the brake has been thrown. You can grab the disengaged 4-jaw and stop it with your hand, but before the crash, the 4-jaw would instantly stop when you threw the brake lever.

I have never disassembled the lathe, or any other, but i have a feeling I sheared some kind of pin off inside it. Everything else works correctly.

I offered to pay for someone to come out and repair it, so the 4-jaw immediately stops again, when you throw the brake.
My freind says "no repair!" ..... He wants me to buy him a NEW lathe.
This is ridiculous.
Can someoen please tell me what broke inside the lathe? If it is easy, I will replace broken pin/part and be done w/ him.
He will not allow me to bring in a tech to fix, as he wants a new lathe, bought by me. If a mechanical layman can fix it, I can fix it when he is at lunch....and then tell him "It's Fixxed!!!" lol

Anything/parts I should be looking for that woould be broken to cause the head to spin itself to a stop instead of stopping when throwing the lever.

Thank you
Matt

I'm of no help to you on the repair but I think your "Friend" is nuts! :nutter:

He is entitled to exactly what he had before the accident, a working lathe that has the same wear, tolerances and operating functions. If the spindle and bearings are Fubared you should pay for that along with the braking function....

A new Lathe? I would tell him to go pound sand and see you in court..

I don't think you have a very good friend.:D

The actual problem is in the brake itself. It is either out of adjustment or the brake linkage has something broken. Should be a very minor problem.

There is, in fact, a shear pin that breaks when you run the tool into a shoulder under power feed or when threading. They are easy to change and pretty cheap. I think Clausing sells them in a pack of ten pins and ten push-on retainers. The pin is near the left end of the lead screw, in a cross hole that connects the lead screw with the output shaft of the quick change gear box. If is not sheared, you will see a round head on one side and the push-on retainer on the opposite side and the two ends will stay put if you try to pry them out of the hole. If it is sheared, the head and/or retainer may fall off, leaving just a hole through the screw with the center portion of the pin still in the hole.

The trouble is, that pin has no effect upon the spindle and brake.

So I would look at the pin, which is not supposed to shear, that locks the drive pulley to the spindle. And look at the back gear engaging mechanism. Were you using back gear when the wreck happened? If so, the pulley pin had to have been disengaged (pulled out to the left). With the pin pulled out and the back gear disengaged, the spindle is not connected to the drive pulley and will spin freely. Maybe all you need to do is push the pin in all the way.

Have fun shopping for that new lathe.

Larry

So I would look at the pin, which is not supposed to shear, that locks the drive pulley to the spindle. And look at the back gear engaging mechanism. Were you using back gear when the wreck happened? If so, the pulley pin had to have been disengaged (pulled out to the left). With the pin pulled out and the back gear disengaged, the spindle is not connected to the drive pulley and will spin freely. Maybe all you need to do is push the pin in all the way.

Have fun shopping for that new lathe.

Larry

IF that pin was out would the chuck still spin up?

He didn't specify what kind of new lathe right? Tell him you'll take the old one off his hands while your at it since you will be paying to replace it

Seriously what kind of a friend expects you to buy a new lathe and won't let you repair the old one? Not even bring in a qualified tech? It sounds like an easy fix and it sounds like you need new friends.

Seriously what kind of a friend expects you to buy a new lathe and won't let you repair the old one? Not even bring in a qualified tech? It sounds like an easy fix and it sounds like you need new friends.

I was pretty much joking, about buying him a new lathe....He just likes something to b*t*ch about, hence why he wont let me get it fixed...i wanna fix it to end his chronic complaining :-D

Thanks guys!
I am not using the right terminology, but since the shear-pin on the acme-thread/feed is still intact, and the headstock still functions fine, the issue is in the clutch/brake in the headstock....??? :-)
When you throw the 'stop' lever, the machine/transmission disengages, and the headstock 'coasts' to a stop. Something in the headstock, perhaps some kind of friction/brake plate was worn/glazed?

I got my 5914 in 1984. About 20-25 years ago, I had a problem with the brake. I have forgotten the details, but think it was a loose nut on the linkage inside the pedestal, which was very simple to fix. As I recall, I opened the pedestal cover and the problem was obvious.

Larry

...i wanna fix it...He just likes something to b*t*ch about...

Put yourself in his shoes. If I was your friend, I would not want you to fix it or (actually) come anywhere near my lathe, after that incident. You should be prepared to hire an expert to troubleshoot and repair the damage you've done. And even to compensate him for downtime.

Put yourself in his shoes. If I was your friend, I would not want you to fix it or (actually) come anywhere near my lathe, after that incident. You should be prepared to hire an expert to troubleshoot and repair the damage you've done. And even to compensate him for downtime.

Reading > you

I had a clausing 13" that the linkage would come loose and the brake would not work.I think you can see it behind the end cover.I also think mine was missing a cotter pin or something to keep it attached.It may be your problem.Mine would stay together unless you yanked on the spindle/brake pretty hard,then I would have to go in and put it back.Hope this helps

Back