What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
The manual says I should use Mobilfluid 530 in the apron reservoir. Can I use plain old automotive automatic transmission fluid instead? Or even ... are they the same thing?

Also, is there any way to ID which carriage wipers I need without using the serial number of the machine? Someone was brainless enough to drill holes through enough of the serial# to render it useless. Hardinge seems to offer 3 different styles. I've attached pics below of what's on there now.

spindleside.jpg tailside.jpg

Hello Don,
On my later HLV-H the tag says Mobil ATF 350. We now have many types of transmision fluids available so I think I will use Dexron 4 till someone recomends something else.
Your wipers look very much like mine. I bought a spare set and comared them to your photos. I can not say if the hole spacing is the same but the layout and number of holes is very similar.
My lathe has the serial number in 2 places. One is on the headstock, by the collet closer mount and the other is on the bed next to the oil pump.
If you want to try my spare wipers out for size. Send me an email.
FredC

Thank you, Fred. Sounds like there's a little flexibility in the ATF I can use, that's good to know.
I only found one serial number on the bed at the tailstock end, I'll go back and check the headstock where you suggested. If it were my lathe I would take you up on your offer for the wipers, but this belongs to a company and they only understand things like purchase orders .... i.e., if it doesn't cost big money and get routed through some lengthy convoluted PO process then someone must be doing something wrong, etc. :)

Found that second serial#, right where you said it was. Had to peel off quite a bit of paint, someone had covered it completely.

Back