What's new
What's new

Which DRO to get???

BDMcGrew

Plastic
Good evening everyone!

The Bridgeport Series 1 I just got has X & Y scales on the machine. The DRO head was removed by the previous user to be put on another machine. I have no idea what make/model the DRO was. In looking, it appears like 99% of the units I'm finding have a DB-9 connection on the back for the scales. My scales are 6-Pin round connectors, see photo attached.

The only DRO I'm finding with this kind of connector is the old Acu-Rite III but I gotta believe there are others out there, I just don't know what brand/models to be looking for? Vintage is totally acceptable and I don't need anything fancy (but it'd be nice, lol). I need it mainly for positioning since the dial indicators are almost totally worn off the table cranks. I'm hoping to find something on eBay in the "very inexpensive" price range. What should I be looking for?

See pic of scale connectors attached.

Thanks all!

-brian

Attachments

• 2461F544-.jpg
    2461F544-.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 297
Thanks Tom! You're right, the encoders are Newall.

Anyone know what model(s) of DRO head I should be looking for?

Everything I've found so far is the newer style with DB-9 connectors.

Are there any other brands that'll work with these scales?
Can I use a 7-Pin DIN to DB-9 adapter cable like the ones all around eBay???

Thanks!

-brian

Newall makes interface cables to be able to use newer DRO boxes with these scales. But you would be looking for the Newall Topaz, Sapphire, or DP7 to use those exact connectors. Newall does not currently support any of those models.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Scale leads

The plug that you are showing is used on the Topaz reader head by Newall

I have a refurbished one if you are interested, PS..Refurbished by Newall!

Mick

Back