What's new
What's new

DRO Suggestions for BP Series II Special

moldcore

Hot Rolled
I've had this machine for over 20 years and it's like brand new because it so big that no one wants to use it. I was thinking of putting a DRO on it to make more user friendly. Looks like we'll need a 16" X 36" travel in Y and X respectfully with a possibility of a 16" Z axis. We have a Mitutoyo on our manual lathe but many don't care for its interface. We are also looking at Fagor and Newall and few others. Any suggestion and/or opinions on these and others would be appreciated. TIA

I've had this machine for over 20 years and it's like brand new because it so big that no one wants to use it. I was thinking of putting a DRO on it to make more user friendly. Looks like we'll need a 16" X 36" travel in Y and X respectfully with a possibility of a 16" Z axis. We have a Mitutoyo on our manual lathe but many don't care for its interface. We are also looking at Fagor and Newall and few others. Any suggestion and/or opinions on these and others would be appreciated. TIA

AcuRite is my choice.

I think you should just get rid of that big old hunk of junk. You should ship it out here to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

But, if you decide not to go that route, I would second the vote for Accu-Rite.

Ted

I think you should just get rid of that big old hunk of junk. You should ship it out here to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

But, if you decide not to go that route, I would second the vote for Accu-Rite.

Ted

Ha Ha. I ordered the Acu-Rite DRO from MSC with 20% discount. Brackets for the Series II were extra.

@Moldcore, if you order the kit and specify Series II Special, that should be built into the price of the actual kit. The generic kit comes with the universal mounting hardware, but as a dealer we can specify what model kit is needed and it will ship with that instead of the universal and then having to special order that kit.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

@Moldcore, if you order the kit and specify Series II Special, that should be built into the price of the actual kit. The generic kit comes with the universal mounting hardware, but as a dealer we can specify what model kit is needed and it will ship with that instead of the universal and then having to special order that kit.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon that's good to know but it's already in transit, it was shipped Friday and will arrive later this week. MSC didn't suggest that, Maybe I should ask for credit? From my experience, MSC has been pretty good about things like that.

Yeah size does matter sometimes. This particular machine has a 15" Advance Crosslide Rotary table on it and a 6" riser. Comes in handy sometimes when you want to put a quick radius or angle on an insert, but too many times the zero/center of the table gets lost because the dials on the axis don't always stay locked. 20 years ago these crosslide rotary tables used to be indispensable in mold making. Like the Deckel pantographs, cnc's have replaced them. Not sure why this one was never fitted with a DRO. We do have an older one with travel dials. I once worked at a few mold shops in the 70's and 80's where every Bridgeport machine had these tables on them. I miss them sometimes. I once did a set of electrodes for a 9mm gun frame and slide in the early 80's on one. Came out just fine.

Here a crosslide table on ebay:TROYKE #DMT-15 CROSSLIDE ROTARY TABLE | eBay

Up-date. Received the unit today and it looks like the universal knee brackets they supplied will not work with a Series II and MSC doesn't stock the Acu-Rite knee bracket. The said they can order them but their price is marked up a ridiculous 200%. I think I'm going to send the whole thing back and try to order from a local dealer or try a different brand. I'll have to do some checking around next week.

Up-date. Received the unit today and it looks like the universal knee brackets they supplied will not work with a Series II and MSC doesn't stock the Acu-Rite knee bracket. The said they can order them but their price is marked up a ridiculous 200%. I think I'm going to send the whole thing back and try to order from a local dealer or try a different brand. I'll have to do some checking around next week.

Get it from Jon at H&W Machine Repair. He will do you right.

@Moonlight Thanks! Must not have been me who sold it, cause I have been on the road the last two days and will be for the next two days.

Its been a few years since I have put a system on a Series II Special, but I just did a MillPWR G2 install on a Series II "standard" and the kit mounted beautifully.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon, It must have been a long time since ACU-RITE shipped knee brackets because I've not heard back from you guys on a ship date. Perhaps they don't have any in stock and have to manufacture them?

Received the knee brackets yesterday. It may be a week or two before I have time to install everything but I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks everyone.

A follow up. Finally got all three axis installed. Took about 5 hours over a period of a couple of weeks. Most of the time was spent drilling, tapping the mounting holes, and mounting the display unit. The brackets for the Series II were a little confusing at first but eventually figured them out. Instruction were not very clear. The drawings didn't match my machine all that much but the furnished mounts seemed to fit just fine as if that’s what was attended. There was one bracket for the knee that was supposed to hold the reader and mount on the lower part of the column with the scale attached to the knee. The area of the base on this machine was not flat and tapered up toward the top so mounting the bracket was going to be tricky. Acu-Rite solved this by supplying a bracket that had three set screws to level it against the surface and it worked great.

Back