What's new
What's new

Fire and Water Damaged Bridgeport Milling Machine - Give Away

Brian Mifsud

Plastic
Almost a year ago, a fire took down my wooden workshop. I inherited Dad's Bridgeport mill as well as associated tooling and machinery. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Machinist, but learned enough from Dad to not kill myself, and make the occasional part to support my traditional boat building, and automotive interests hobbies.

Fast forward to now, am removing the last of the debris, and the mill has been out in the rain since May last year. The fire hose did it in. Motor cover was completely melted (anything Aluminum in the shop melted or burned). The worktable has aluminum melted into the keyways. It is rusty, but looks reasonably straight. The knee still works somewhat. The cross feed does not (frozen with rust). The little door below the turret in the side of the casting melted.

I want to GIVE the mill to someone who will rebuild it and use it if it is feasible. The base castings are in decent shape, but everything must be unseized from rust, and rebuilt. I can lift the mill with the forklift attachment on my tractor onto your trailer. I'm in Northern California, in Sonoma County.

Thanks

Brian

Almost a year ago, a fire took down my wooden workshop. I inherited Dad's Bridgeport mill as well as associated tooling and machinery. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Machinist, but learned enough from Dad to not kill myself, and make the occasional part to support my traditional boat building, and automotive interests hobbies.

Fast forward to now, am removing the last of the debris, and the mill has been out in the rain since May last year. The fire hose did it in. Motor cover was completely melted (anything Aluminum in the shop melted or burned). The worktable has aluminum melted into the keyways. It is rusty, but looks reasonably straight. The knee still works somewhat. The cross feed does not (frozen with rust). The little door below the turret in the side of the casting melted.

I want to GIVE the mill to someone who will rebuild it and use it if it is feasible. The base castings are in decent shape, but everything must be unseized from rust, and rebuilt. I can lift the mill with the forklift attachment on my tractor onto your trailer. I'm in Northern California, in Sonoma County.

Thanks

Brian

The Iron parts may not have melted, but at the heat, intensity, and duration described from the "forensic evidence" on the corpse, it is a safe bet all of the Iron parts - turret, knee, and base castings included - have warped to one extent or another, and or are prepared to crack, if they have not already from the shock-cooling of the fire hoses.

You would not be doing even the most dedicated of restorers or parts salvagers any favours. Bridgeports just are not so rare as to justify the level of effort required.

This one is best recycled for its scrap weight.

I'd think anything that's been through that isn't worth rebuilding. There'd be too many hidden problems with distortion, seized parts and goodness knows what else. Bridgeports aren't quite a dime a dozen but close enough that the scrap yard is worth considering. Ha! Thermite beat me to it.

I looked at a machine in that condition last year, I could have had it for free, and I enjoy a good project. But just buying the parts would have been more expensive than the machine would ever be worth, so I passed on it. If someone needs a few parts, they might take a chance on yours for free.

I did pull the rotary table from the burnt machine last year, have not started on it yet, and not sure I can save it.

Someone looking for a not-so-precise work surface they can bolt to may appreciate the table. If it had a vise on it that may double as something that could go on a work bench for some poor deserving soul that doesn't have a better suited bench vise (yes I know one is not the other). Beyond that, I suspect sadly that scrap, anchor, or very sturdy mailbox post, is the appropriate disposition.

Back