What's new
What's new

Fit of HLV-H tailstock clamp?

Jim S.

Hot Rolled
My newly acquired HLV-H came with a broken tailstock clamp. I can easily make a new part but am not sure how much clearance to allow on the square portion that fits through the tailstock body.

The square portion of the clamp is .395" but the broached hole in the tailstock is about .440" square. It's not clear to my why so much clearance and it seems that amount of play may contribute to bending of the plunger and tendency to break. There's no evidence of damage to either part, male or female.

HLV-H tailstock lock.jpg

My inclination is to make the new plunger with just a few thousandths clearance on the square portion. Can anyone think of a reason to have more clearance than that?
Thanks,
Jim

My newly acquired HLV-H came with a broken tailstock clamp. I can easily make a new part but am not sure how much clearance to allow on the square portion that fits through the tailstock body.

The square portion of the clamp is .395" but the broached hole in the tailstock is about .440" square. It's not clear to my why so much clearance and it seems that amount of play may contribute to bending of the plunger and tendency to break. There's no evidence of damage to either part, male or female.

View attachment 225626

My inclination is to make the new plunger with just a few thousandths clearance on the square portion. Can anyone think of a reason to have more clearance than that?
Thanks,
Jim

I just measured my tail stock wedge clamp. It is .440 on one side and about .441 on the other side.

Make a new one with as little clearance as you can get by with. If it was me I would hand fit it by lapping the sides on a diamond stone.

Thanks for the comments. They have confirmed my instincts. I'll do as you suggest, rons, and stone to fit. Makes me curious, though, why mine has so much clearance as opposed to yours. There is no evidence of wear....
Jim

You can never be sure what was done before you became the caretaker.

It is a interesting mechanism. When you turn the lever the wedge's small thread retracts back into the hole on the larger threaded piece attached to the lever. But the larger thread moves the assembly in the opposite direction at a faster rate. So the anvil eventually stops on the dovetail. When installing back on the tail stock it takes a few tries before you get the anvil placed just right (# turns) in the hole of the larger threaded piece. If I'm wrong then enlighten me...

You can never be sure what was done before you became the caretaker.

It is a interesting mechanism. When you turn the lever the wedge's small thread retracts back into the hole on the larger threaded piece attached to the lever. But the larger thread moves the assembly in the opposite direction at a faster rate. So the anvil eventually stops on the dovetail. When installing back on the tail stock it takes a few tries before you get the anvil placed just right (# turns) in the hole of the larger threaded piece. If I'm wrong then enlighten me...

Seems to be effectively adjustable - with the two different thread pitches and all. This is how they do the clamp for the
steadty rest as well.

Combined with the spline to mount the handle on this, I don't think lapping anything to size will be needed.

When installing back on the tail stock it takes a few tries before you get the anvil placed just right (# turns) in the hole of the larger threaded piece. If I'm wrong then enlighten me...

I made the new part today. Works fine. Got it to w/in .001 inches fit on the square portion. Timing the two threads was easy as Jim R noted. Just count the respective thread turns to ensure both are near full engagement at the lock position. Now just to harden the new pin....OEM was mid 50s RC.
Jim

Back