What's new
What's new

Fitting a dti clock for measuring apron and cross slide movement on Hardinge lathe

motoRichard

Plastic
I am going to fit two dti clocks on adjustable arms to measure the apron movement and cross slide movement on my Hardinge lathe. I have learnt so much on this forum in such a short time I thought I would ask for any ideas or suggestions of how others have done this. Pictures would be excellent.

I built a prototype last summer. Still use it. I like it better than the Hardinge design because the indicator face is farther to the left and the face can be rotated to vertical. Keeps the lens clean. I can screw on different lengths of aluminium bar on the right side (1", 1.5", 2") or I can move the wood base to the right of the head stock by loosening one set screw on the back of the wood base. One day the wood base will be metal if I don't have any better ideas.

There is no need for a dti on the cross slide.

DSC_0936.jpg

H-HD2.jpg

Question, Is it a European thing to call a dial indicator a clock? I've seen it done before but not so much in the states. In my experience there are:

DTI's, or dial test indicators which are used to measure relative positions such as when indicating a vise or using a height gage.

Dial indicators or drop indicators which measure absolute positions such as you are doing there.

-T

Rons thank you for the pictures.Before I wrote the post I had a idea how I was going to fit a dti. And then I thought I bet I will change my mind if I got any replies.And yes I was right.The way you have fitted your dti it seams more protected than my approach. I have attached a picture of how my dad has fitted a dti.
MTeryk I have worked in engineering workshops here in England for Along time. And yes your right the term clock for a dti is commonly used. Eg “I will clock the vice up”and so on. I am sure even whilst doing my apprenticeship we were taught useing the term clock for a dti.

Back