What's new
What's new

Hand pump way oiler for Hardinge mill

LF, are you referring to something that fits the ball oilers? I turned a piece of aluminum with a hole thru center, about 1.5" long with a raised "nub" on the end that depresses the ball, and an o-ring that fits around the nub (the nub projects above the o-ring a bit, and the o-ring sits against the stationary part of the oiler), the other end of the aluminum is sized to fit into the vinyl hose spout of a generic trigger pump oil can. That being said it's probably not necessary to "pressurize" those oilers, but it does probably work more efficiently and not make a big mess. Cheers, Charles

Thanks very much. That is it exactly, the ball oilers. I have a hand pump oiler of a Schaublin that I have been using with a small riece of rubber gasket on the end to prevent overflow but your solution is much better. I will make one of those. Cheers, LL

Last edited:
A picture's worth 500 words, simple but might save a few minutes of cogitation. It's helpful if the aluminum piece has some length to grab onto (not too long otherwise it's unwieldy), because you have to fiddle with it to get it perpendicular and apply some pressure to the o-ring. Cheers Charles

Thanks for the pictures. That helps a lot. I see how this works and the little sideways slot across the oiler hole is pretty slick. This should be easy to make and work perfectly. I'll make the body larger diameter and reduce the oil source end to fit the neoprene hose. I checked and I do have a spare oil can to use for this. Thanks a million.

Next question is how much way oil flow should I expect from the two metered outlets on the Bijur pump (has a pull and release handle, maybe called the One Shot) on my Bridgeport mill?. I may need to clean and put new parts in one of mine as it seems to be delivering oil drop by drop, slowly. The single unmetered (there are three outlets in the manifold on top of the oiler) goes to the table and is a very small stream. I checked the flow one outlet at a time leaving the other two connected.

Still another question. How do I oil the cross slide table on a Perrin jig borer/ I can;t seem to find an oil point or a pump oiler.

I may need to posts these extra questions separately to the appropriate forums but I just thought I would ask in this thread.

Many thanks for the help.
LL

There's a lot of discussion and instructions here on Bijur oilers metering valves, etc. I haven't delved into them since mine seem to be working fine. If I recall, most folks recommend replacing the metering valves and flushing the system if you get into it. Also there are specs on the pumps for the volume per stroke. (I don't know anything about the jig-borer).

I dunno if those generic push lube grease "guns" will work for oil. I have a couple and they definitely will not work with oil (leaks); the one on the Bridgeport parts page specifically states that it will work with oil. McMaster has a lever-operated one, but it's pricey; I've seen somewhere others modify a standard grease gun (need a new piston with o-ring, etc) to work with oil. Cheers.

Thanks very much. This is all great information. I will probably replace those two metering valves & already have a kit with filter screen and o-ring to further upgrade performance. I hope I do not have to flush the Bridgeport oiler system; I will rebuild the pump first and see if that helps. As for the cheap throwaway push grease gun filled with oil I will bet that if you take a little O-ring and put it into the recessed face around the oiler ball then put the push oiler point into it it might not leak. I will certainly try that. I took mine and pushed it into the hole as is to see how it worked and it delivered a little grease into the machine. So, maybe it will work with oil if you use the o-ring as a gasket. I will try this.

LF you're welcome. I meant the push-lube gizmos that I have will not hold oil in the reservoir without leaking (they are not the same brand as those shown here), if they don't leak they'd probably work fine for the ball-oilers. The lever-operated grease gun (for zerks) would seem very good for flushing out systems, since it provides up to 5800 psi pressure (and has an actual zerk fitting); by flushing was meant just injecting some kerosine or such into the system, whether by the pump, oiler or some other contraption. Good Luck, Cheers.

That's useful to know. Mine is one of the blue ones made in Germany marketed by Amazon in the url I posted. I will have a close look at mine to see if I can fix any leaks. Anyway I will probably make one of those fittings you designed to connect to an oil can; best bet all the way around.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. This is all great information. I will probably replace those two metering valves & already have a kit with filter screen and o-ring to further upgrade performance. I hope I do not have to flush the Bridgeport oiler system; I will rebuild the pump first and see if that helps.

Hmmmm.... All the Bijur systems I've seen have meter units on ALL the lines, else all the oil goes out through the open line and little or none comes out of the others. In fact, that's the way these systems usually die, one line breaks, and then the others fill with crud because of no flow. Are you sure there isn't a meter unit at the other end of the line? Perhaps someone left one off?

Dennis

Hmmmm.... All the Bijur systems I've seen have meter units on ALL the lines, else all the oil goes out through the open line and little or none comes out of the others. In fact, that's the way these systems usually die, one line breaks, and then the others fill with crud because of no flow. Are you sure there isn't a meter unit at the other end of the line? Perhaps someone left one off?

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. I wondered that too. The right hand outlet that goes to the table, on the _new_ Bijur I just installed has the same size hole as the others. However, the previous unit had a smaller hole that fits the smaller fitting on the line (flex) that comes from the table., i.e. no metering valve in line. I ordered a bushing from Bijur that adapts the existing flex line to the larger hole in the unit. The tech service person said that "they made a mistake tapping a hole that large", meaning that the flex line traditionally does not have metering. Maybe the bushing I will receive Monday will have metering but I assume not. I could try clamping the table flex line on the older Bijur and open each of the other fittings one by one to see if flow increases (without flow going to the flex line). So, I will do that experiment and see. If it is the same small drip then I will try putting new parts in the unit and hope I do not have to flush the system. The flex line goes to a manifold with lots of lines attached. Thanks again for the heads-up about the need for metering all lines. LL

Last edited:
Thanks, Dennis. I wondered that too. The right hand outlet that goes to the table, on the _new_ Bijur I just installed has the same size hole as the others. However, the previous unit had a smaller hole that fits the smaller fitting on the line (flex) that comes from the table., i.e. no metering valve in line. I ordered a bushing from Bijur that adapts the existing flex line to the larger hole in the unit. The tech service person said that "they made a mistake tapping a hole that large", meaning that the flex line traditionally does not have metering. Maybe the bushing I will receive Monday will have metering but I assume not. I could try clamping the table flex line on the older Bijur and open each of the other fittings one by one to see if flow increases (without flow going to the flex line). So, I will do that experiment and see. If it is the same small drip then I will try putting new parts in the unit and hope I do not have to flush the system. The flex line goes to a manifold with lots of lines attached. Thanks again for the heads-up about the need for metering all lines. LL

Assuming this is like the other ones I've seen the flex line does not have any metering, it just get oil to the manifold. The manifold then has a metering piece on each outlet. Mine is on the saddle under the left side of the table.

Assuming this is like the other ones I've seen the flex line does not have any metering, it just get oil to the manifold. The manifold then has a metering piece on each outlet. Mine is on the saddle under the left side of the table.

Thanks. Since metering is needed for all oil points as mentioned before it is done at the manifold. Yes, mine is also under left side of table.

That's what I thought, too. On my Bridgeports, the line from the pump serves two meter units for lines that go to the column ways, then a hose jumps to a manifold on the saddle that has, I think, eight more meter units. There are NO lines that aren't metered.

The initial pressure impulse when the pump is pumped will likely make the meter units before the open line pass a drop, but then all the oil escapes out the open (broken) line. Any downstream of the break are SOL. Those upstream aren't passing what is intended. The system is intended to hold pressure for a while, while the meter units weep oil in proportion to their rated size.

Dennis

LF, yep, it's getting a bit too metropolisitic/suburban-sprawl around here for my tastes (I've been in the same spot for 30+ years). I'm south of Cary (the Apex came from decades ago when the mailing adreess was determined by city by the city where the mail came from). Let me know if you need to take a look at the TM or mill. (your mailbox is full), Cheers, Charles

Thanks for the invitation, Charles. Maybe we can exchange shop visits some time; I will put that on the to do list. As for the full mailbox, is that a PM mailbox or some email address?
When Chatham Park starts development of its 7000 acres and adding it to Pittsboro things will change a lot around here. I expect it will put pressure on real estate development as far away as where you are south of Cary. CP is near Moncure; go East from there and there is a lot of open land to turn into gated communities. What I have to worry about is UNC building a new airport .5 miles from me (it would run N-S so I would be west of the noise). LL

Back