What's new
What's new

Harding HLV-H Question

redlee

Titanium
There is one of these up for auction, they have no way of loading it, if you were to seperate the lathe from the base could it be loaded into a pickup using an engine hoist?
Or is it to much work to seperate on site?
Thanks

Yes, It's easier to rent a trailer and hitch to a pickup.

If you buy at an auction you are under contract to remove the item within a specified time. At least that's how it works around here.

If this is the machine in Calgary, you'd want to inspect where it is in the 'office' to ensure you have an easy route to your truck. (And don't worry, I'm not bidding). From experience moving machines out of two Universities in Ontario and MB, don't expect it to be easy.

Lucky7

There is one of these up for auction, they have no way of loading it, if you were to seperate the lathe from the base could it be loaded into a pickup using an engine hoist? ... Or is it to much work to seperate on site? Thanks

I've seperated a HLV from its base in my early days, quite do able but as stated above, just winch it onto a trailer. It really is not difficult but "BEWARE" it's top heavy and the CofG needs to be monitored as you move it ... I'm sure there are a number of HLV-H owners that have "Nearly" tipped their machines

Good luck

John :typing: :cheers:

That was a strange loading message they put there. Obviously they moved it there. It appears someone wants to make it easier and cheaper for a friend to bid.

RDL, that message is normal for that organization. It's public information so I don't know how anybody's friend could benefit (and yes, I have purchased from this 'outfit'). It's just a small lathe, so really not that big a deal to move solo if you're careful.

It can be lifted quite happily from under the stand, so long as you don't tip it over. Managed to load a DV59 into a Transit van using two trolley jacks, some bricks and a crowbar once :)

All my hardinges are second -ops and a couple toolroom projects (pre HLV-)
That said, i would not take the lathe off the cabinet if in any way possible to move without. In the big scheme of things you don't really save much weight, there are a lot of somewhat fussy electical & mechanical connections/linkages to re-install & a few small loose pieces to lose (springs, ball bearing) for the 3 point mount. The lathe itself is most of the weight, you are not going to take it off complete, remove the TS, chucks, and collet closer, & one person, or even a couple guys safely man-carry it out to the truck like you can an old second-op. It is still going to require careful rigging, and protection for a lot of sensitive parts like the handles, and any linkage that sticks out the bottom at the headstock end.

Of course if you are one of those nuts that intends to take it home and spend the next year (or 3) "restoring" it with new paint, polish, and soft parts, then go ahead and dis-assemble it in crates with some sort of organizational system and labeling, and have at it. :D (Disclaimer: My TL's are in that condition, but they were both too far gone to use at all without new beds and scraping. 10 yrs on the 1st. One year and counting on the second... :rolleyes5: :) )

smt

I have done this, time consuming but after splitting the base from the bed, I moved everything myself with an engine hoist and Dolly's , not much risk of toppling once apart, very high as a complete unit.
I have pictures of you want.
Used a cheap HF engine hoist but would recommend something better, I had to shut down the bypass and still got nowhere near the lift rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guys at that auction in Calgary went and dropped the lathe onto a regular pallat... grrrrr I'm not sure if any of the stuff underneath the cabinet got bent in the process. That could be a messy fix...

This one will be a tough one to get out.

Unsure..... I haven't seen it. I was told it was put on a pallat and to bring my own a forklift and other removal equipment. A friend who works at the CFIA building across the parking lot says that a truck and trailer are going to be really hard to get into there.

Knowing most guys in the government, they just rammed a forklift under it and skidded it off the forks onto a pallat. I've had that happen a few times with equipment I've bought from these surplus auctions. One guy dropped a 5600 pound surface grinder on a normal pallat, and was beside himself when the pallat broke. Didn't know how we were going to get it onto the truck.

Now, if I understand the HLVH right, you don't want to pick it by ramming forks under the bottom as you can bend some cross members underneath in the cabinet, and possibly bend the motor mount position... This can lead to a vibration situation and other problems. If there is damage, I don't know if that damage can be repaired or not without replacing the cabinet.

These people aren't 'experts' in this machine, and they didn't even know what things went with it, or if the imperial gears are there for it. It currently has a metric box on it.

Back