What's new
What's new

Ram extention

jabingb

Plastic
I'm in a bit of a jam, cranked the ram back almost to the limit of back travel and now the ram will not budge, either forward or back. I've forgotten which way to rotate the handle to extend it back and don't want to break the handle or damage the worm gear that I presume converts the rotary motion to linear. I believe the dovetail was not well lubed, my bad, and that's caused the stiction.

Last edited:
I've forgotten which way to rotate the handle to extend it back and don't want to break the handle or damage the worm gear that I presume converts the rotary motion to linear.

The two locking bolts have to be loose first. Then rotate the handle clockwise to make the ram move to the rear.

I've had mine stick back from time to time if I neglected to clean the old oil and grunge off before running it back. A block of wood, a lead hammer, and someone pulling on the handle always gets it moving.

Dennis

I’ve had a few ram problems and the solution was always patience, not hammers. Not contradicting Dennis. He’s probably not suggesting wailing on it. I greased my ram. I think others oil them. They get sticky. WD-40 left to soak over night helped me once.

I don't know if it's a longer term fix on a Bridgeport, but when I rebuilt my Beaver milling machine, I added four oil zerks to lubricate the ram ways. Gets the oil where it's needed and works very well.

Just to be clear, the ram/head was moved very close to the column and I want to extend it away from the column. The locking bolts are free, I then rotate the lever in a clockwise direction to achieve that? I will also apply some liberal amounts of WD-40 tonight and give it another go tomorrow.

I’ve had a few ram problems and the solution was always patience, not hammers. Not contradicting Dennis. He’s probably not suggesting wailing on it. I greased my ram. I think others oil thethem. They get sticky. WD-40 left to soak over night helped me once.

That's exactly what I was suggesting, within reason. On a Bridgeport the ram is the least likely thing to get damaged. There is no gib on the ram dovetail, it's scraped to fit at the factory. If dried oil varnish gets pushed in it it''ll lock up. So long as the locking studs are loose and someone is keeping tension on the ram pinion handle (counter clockwise to extend the head away from the column) some sharp raps should get it moving. Just remember, in the future, to clean and oil the exposed part of the ram before cramming it back in.

Dennis

The locking bolts are free, I then rotate the lever in a clockwise direction to achieve that?

NO, the lever rotates CCW to move the ram out. The lever rotates a gear that's under a rack on the ram. Also check the pinch bolts, they can sometimes be tight at a different place on the ram. I've loosened them to move the ram and got "stuck" on a different section of the ram, needing another 1/2 turn to loosen sometimes.

Back