What's new
What's new

Hardinge cataract bench lathe questions

Avtrill

Plastic
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask some of you knowledgeable professionals about. I am wanting to find out the age of my lathe and if it was modified to use the quick close lever for collets. I don't know much about lathes obviously but am trying to learn and purchased the lathe not knowing what it was. I thought it looked cool and it was old and American so I figured why not. The seller didn't know anything about it either because it was his dad's and he fell ill. So I couldn't ask him anything. I have been on www.lathes.co.uk and got some information but not a whole lot. I thank you for taking the time to read this long post I look forward to some responses. Have a good day

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask some of you knowledgeable professionals about. I am wanting to find out the age of my lathe and if it was modified to use the quick close lever for collets. I don't know much about lathes obviously but am trying to learn and purchased the lathe not knowing what it was. I thought it looked cool and it was old and American so I figured why not. The seller didn't know anything about it either because it was his dad's and he fell ill. So I couldn't ask him anything. I have been on www.lathes.co.uk and got some information but not a whole lot. I thank you for taking the time to read this long post I look forward to some responses. Have a good day

You need to start by posting good pictures. The headstock will have the serial number, which will help figure the age.

Larry

The short answer is - cataract bench lathes often were set up with lever collet closers. Depending on the age,
the closer either bolted to the end of the bed and had the lever sticking straight up, or for newer models there is
a boss on the headstock to mount the closer unit, and it would extend straight out towards the operator.

Of course older machines often would be fitted with aftermarket units similar to Royal, and also would often
come with handwheel collet setups.

Jim

Back