What's new
What's new

Hardinge Cataract Quick Change lathe questions

aeoliankid

Plastic
Hello, All; I'm a newbie to this forum, and have some questions for all you Hardinge experts out there. I salvaged
a Hardinge Cataract Quick Change toolroom lathe, looks to be 9" X 28". I saved it from going to the dump; have cleaned it up, and am operating it now. 1) Its serial number is 7650, stamped both on the headstock and the tail end of the bed. Any idea of the date? 2) What is the proper setup for the metric bracket and gears? 3) Would anyone have drawings for the circular wooden collet rack that was mounted under the chip pan?

I found most of the tooling for this lathe, including the steady and follower rests, metric bracket and 127 tooth change gear, 18 other change gears, several chucks, and a faceplate. Included was the original Hardinge 2 speed overhead motor drive. There is also a block that fills a hole in the middle of the bed near the headstock --- it's some sort of bed extension for the tailstock or steady rest to ride on. Like a filler for a gap bed, but only for the center ways.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'd like to join the informal Hardinge Cataract Club! Cheerio, -- Henry

I do not have that model lathe, but there is a sort of club for those few that do have them. Probably you will be hearing from them. Restoring a Hardinge Cataract Lathe

As to date, I will guess around 1926.

The three riser blocks that change the swing on these lathes are generally missing. People have made replacement castings and collet racks and may have drawings to share.

There are some useful patent drawings. Hardinge Bros. - Assigned Patents | VintageMachinery.org

Have you seen this? http://www.lathes.co.uk/cataract/page5.html

Larry

CatQCSwingP10.jpgCatQCSwingP11.jpgCatQCSwingP17 a.jpgHardinge QC swing building 1.jpgMVC-001F.JPG

Henry as Larry mentioned welcome to the ownership of these lathes. I have managed to grab two of the these lathes #39 and #86 #39 was build Dec 1916 and #89 wa built 1917. The early serial numbers of these lathes had the date of manufacture stamped on the end of the lath on the two parts where the the tail stock rides. However we found that the later ones usually do not have the date. I have collected a listing of all the people we could find with these lathes and have collated it into an excel spreadsheet. I also have two electronic versions of brochures for this lathe one from 1915ish and one from the 1930's. If you contact me directly I can email these files to you. For info we believe there were around 300 of these lathes made and I have serial numbers for around 28 of them. I do not have owners for all the serial numbers but I believe we count about low twenties that have owners with these lathes. You can reach me through the PM section of this forum. Any issues just respond and we'll work out a different method of contact. By the way it would be nice to see at least one full on shot of your lathe on here since the majority of the other owners follow this forum. All the best and look forward to hearing from you.

Hello, Harold; Thank you for your information, with the build dates. There's no date on my bed, only the serial number. The cover for the quick change gear nest has a big "2" stamped on it. I'll soon post some pics of this lathe, and the tooling I have for it. I'd like to join the Hardinge Cataract Quick Change lathe club! Cheerio, ---- Henry
PS - I don't know where the PM section is in the forum.

Hello, All; Here is a picture of Hardinge Cataract QC lathe #7650. Cheerio, --- Henry Prellwitz (Pittsburgh, PA)DSCN3303.jpg

Great find! This lathe was going to be thrown away??? looks to be very complete and in good shape!

I have seen a few pics of your lathe through Harold, would love to see more. You have a couple rare items such as the "cover" for the hole in the ways by the headstock, and a bracket known only as "bracket C" and is apart of the find feed assembly. If your able to look around where you got the lathe from, maybe you can find "bracket A" which is needed to get closer to completing the find feed assembly.

Here is a picture of a prototype of "bracket A" that I have made.

finefeeddone5.jpg

This was made from old pictures and patents since no one has seen one first hand. Would be awesome to find an original!

Tyler

Anyone who would throw that magnificent lathe away either has no knowledge of machinery,no sense of aesthetics,or NO SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd LOVE to have one of those,though I already have a 1964 HLVH. It should be carefully restored.

Hello, Tyler; I'm going to make some drawings of bracket "C" and the metric bracket, which I'll post when complete.
Your "A" bracket looks awesome --- very nice job!
I went over the shop where I found the lathe with a fine toothed comb, looking for accessories. All I have is what you see in the pictures. 7650. HDSCN3304.jpgDSCN3307.jpgDSCN3308.jpgDSCN3305.jpgDSCN3308.jpgere are a few more pics of HCQC #7650.

The lathe was at a university, in an abandoned machine shop. Most academic geeks have no knowledge of machinery whatsoever ---
they are very dangerous with any tool in hand! I was a grad student in the Geology department, and was responsible for keeping
the rock cutting and polishing machinery running, plus I had the job of microscope repair. They wanted the machinery out to make room for plastic Chinese computer stations. My friend and I salvaged 5 machines there; the Hardinge, a Burke Millrite, a Clausing drill press, and an old Sears wood bandsaw. I won't tell the other story about what we found in the civil engineering
building --- they were tossing (into the dumpster, literally!) old surveying transits, alidades, levels, etc. They were not allowed to give away or sell this stuff - some sort of university policy. We saved a lot for the Geo department, and helped ourselves to the rest, by standing guard at the dumpster, and intercepting the goodies. Cheerio, --- Henry

Hi there,

I hope it's not rude to use this thread for my question. It's about this lathe so I thought I'd just try ;)

It's my first post here and I'm about to check out this lathe from a seller who's a 2 hours drive away.

I'm not totally new to lathes but far from being able to recognise the functionality of a lathe in all its parts..

I'm in germany so I was a little surprised to see it here, but from what I've heard these lathes were very good at that time.

In the city of pforzheim where I am right know, I'm crating sort of a maker space and I wanted to offer a lathe for this place.

I for myself want to eventually do some part time hobby machine building, so being able to turn tool steel to some precision would be my goal. Could this lathe be the right choice? The seller wants 750 and it seems like there's not much room about the pricing.

I'll post a link to the lathe and some more pictures if you're interested

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...bank-drehmaschine-hardinge/690882963-84-18679

So thanks for reading and all the Infos your have already gathered!

Daniel

I am by no means an expert however I do have two of these lathes. One is operational the other is still under restoration. These are quite capable lathes for their time and style. They are still quite capable lathes today for a hobbiest. The max speed is approx 1500 Rpm. There were about 300 of these made and we know of about 30 still around. If you do go to see it I would like to get some pictures of it as I have put together a listing of all known lathes and have pictures of most of them. This is the first one I've heard about on the Continent. The serial number should be on the very end of the lathe bed in the centre underneath the groove where the tailstock nut rides. You can respond back either here or via email at haroldmulder(at)hotmail(dot)com

On edit if possible could you please either post or send me the serial number and maybe a wider shot of the lathe showing how they powered it.
Thanks

Last edited:
Tenho um torno Harding Bros cataract Quick chance 9" todo original com divisor, todos acessórios originais e manual original de 1914.

Tenho um torno Hardinge Bros Cataract Quick Chance 9" em ótimo estado
I have a Hardinge Bros Cataract Quick Chance [sic] 9" lathe in great condition.
Tenho um torno Harding Bros cataract Quick chance 9" todo original com divisor, todos acessórios originais e manual original de 1914.
I have a Harding [sic] Bros cataract Quick chance [sic] 9" lathe all original with divider, all original accessories and original manual from 1914

Translated by Google

I am not sure what is meant by divider. Serial number and pictures would be welcome.

Larry

Back