What's new
What's new

Hardinge Dsm 59 coolant pump and switch?

alan speyrer

Stainless
I bought a Hardinge Dsm 59 lathe, made in 1978. I did not come with a coolant pump or the switch that operates the pump. It looks like it had the pump and switch originally. I think Hardinge used a Gusher 1/10hp 3 ph pump. I am needing to buy the switch and pump and I want the original coolant hose stand assembly, unless a different coolant hose and stand is better. Any info appreciated.

The Gusher pumps are still available. IIRC, my DV/DSM has a 1/10HP short-impeller pump. I can get the model number off it, if that helps, but don't know if Gusher is using the same model numbers 50 years later.

I think hunting for an "original coolant hose stand assembly" is a waste of time. There's nothing special about it, and I've never seen one parted out for sale separately from a whole lathe. Build something that works with whatever is convenient to use. Conventional hose from the pump to the business end, and optional valve, then flex hose, Loc-Line or the equivalent from the valve to the work. I literally cannot recall the last time I adjusted the position of my "stand assembly", or even if there's more than one degree of freedom, as I always pull the flex hose around to where I need it.

Hello,
I just bought an old Hardinge-Cataract machine...like the DSM only older. It came with a 5 gallon bucket with a submersible little giant pump. The bucket is connected to the drain in the splash-pan with a hose, so the system circulates. The 110V pump can be wired into the motor switching so that the coolant will come on when the spindle does, if you like...and I did.

The system works well, has a small footprint, and is cheap and available.

Why do you want original items, are you aiming for a 100 point restoration on a $500 machine? Sorry for being a smart ass I have a late 50's Hardinge HC that probably makes your look like a beauty queen. If it were me I would just get a submersible from any old where, make a plate for a toggle switch, lock line and a brass manifold and be done with it. Of course that won't look like a museum piece.

The hose stand and nozzles do show up on eBay from time to time. I think there might even be one there now. I know I've seen at least a few there recently.

Hey bob, glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor! Not doing a " museum restoration". So I bought this Dsm 59 on eBay a few years ago, the machine I bought was a mid fiftys Dsm 59, the machine that was delivered to my shop was a 1978 Dsm! One problem, someone welded two flat 1/4" pieces of plate steel over the original coolant valleys! Why? Who knows, it's taken me 4 hours and 10 4" die grinder cutting disks to carefully remove the plate steel. I had to remove the crosslide and turret and wrap the headstock to keep all the grinding dust out.So now I just need to get a gusher pump and get back to business.
And as luck would be, just had a customer place a 500 piece order yesterday.

Why do you want original items, are you aiming for a 100 point restoration on a $500 machine? Sorry for being a smart ass I have a late 50's Hardinge HC that probably makes your look like a beauty queen. If it were me I would just get a submersible from any old where, make a plate for a toggle switch, lock line and a brass manifold and be done with it. Of course that won't look like a museum piece.

That would be great, I would like to know the gusher pump part number.
Thanks

The Gusher pumps are still available. IIRC, my DV/DSM has a 1/10HP short-impeller pump. I can get the model number off it, if that helps, but don't know if Gusher is using the same model numbers 50 years later.

I think hunting for an "original coolant hose stand assembly" is a waste of time. There's nothing special about it, and I've never seen one parted out for sale separately from a whole lathe. Build something that works with whatever is convenient to use. Conventional hose from the pump to the business end, and optional valve, then flex hose, Loc-Line or the equivalent from the valve to the work. I literally cannot recall the last time I adjusted the past position of my "stand assembly", or even if there's more than one degree of freedom, as I always pull the flex hose around to where I need it.

From the plate on my pump:
Serial 317-504
HP 1/10
Model 8P3
Cyc 60
Volts 220 AC
RPM 3450
PH 3
55 degree C rise, continuous duty

Model 8-P3 is listed in The Ruthman Company's current catalog of Gusher coolant pumps. It is available with long and extra-long impeller. This was not marked on my pump's data plate and I didn't feel like removing the pump from my lathe to measure the length. The overall length of the long 8-P3 is 14 3/8" and the OAL of the extra-long is 17 1/8". The lengths below the mounting flange are 5 3/4" and 8 1/2", respectively, and that's a dimension you should check on your machine.

This model of pump is also available in 1/6 and 1/4 HP versions, and all three HP ratings are available in 230/460V three-phase and 115/230V single-phase. Looking at the catalog charts of flow-vs-head, there is absolutely no point in getting one of the higher HP options for use on the Hardinge. The beefier pumps can pump to a greater height, but all three versions have the same flow limits at the head relevant to this application.

I have noticed that not all Hardinge DSM/DV's are set up for coolant in the same way. Different reservoir locations at a minimum, and quite possibly some differences relevant to pump selection. So you should confirm the dimensions and mounting pattern from the Gusher catalog with the specifics of your machine.

Back