What's new
What's new

Hardinge DV 59 ESM 59 lathe

Neeeick

Plastic
Hi everyone, quick question.. what is a Hardinge DV 59 ESM 59 worth? Its in descent condition but missing the cross slide and tailstock? Any info should help! Thanks in advance.

Those are different lathes. The ESM was made from 1940 to 1946 and came with a turret and lever cross slide on a cast iron bed with a T-slot down the middle. Thousands were made during WWII and they are often not in great shape. The TR is the same lathe, but came with a tailstock and slide rest. The 59 takes 5C collets and has a 9" swing. They also made 37, 47, 57 and 49 versions. They all have step pulleys.

The DV59 was introduced in 1946 and came with a tailstock and slide rest and has a hardened steel dovetail bed (no T-slot). They are pretty old now and seldom found in really nice shape. The early ones have a step pulley, then a primitive variable speed was introduced. The DSM is a DV that came with a turret and lever cross slide.

The DV59 was redesigned in 1960. The many improvements and less age make the newer ones worth more. There were also 1960 DSM59 and VBS versions with turrets and lever cross slides.

A bare bed ESM or 1946 DV is worth around $300 and a bare bed 1960 DV is worth around $800. Everything depends upon actual condition, especially the spindle and bearings. and the motor voltage. The 440 and 550 volt versions are not popular and sell for less than a 220 volt system.

Larry

wow, thanks for all the info Larry. Much appreciated. The seller is asking $400. Im not real familiar with these lathes but thought for the right price id swipe it! Thanks again

-Nick

Tooling can bump the value several times over the naked machine. I did not blanch at $2000+ for a post 1960 DV/DSM-59 with a half a roller cabinet of tooling.

Nick,
Please read the forum rules at the top of the page. Your title does not say anything about what your are asking. Adding "value" to the end of your title would have made all the difference. This is your warning.
JR

I'd cut Larry's values by at least 1/3 and maybe 1/2, for a bare, no tooling bed, operable, on the original steel cabinet. It just costs too much to add tooling after the fact, unless you don't need to use the lathe and can afford to have it taking up space while you shop and wait/hope for bargains on tooling. Unless maybe it's like new with original factory paint.

smt

Just to clarify why bare bed Hardinge lathes are cheap. The beds are bare because the slide rest, lever cross slide, tailstock and/or turret, not to mention the collets and chucks and other small items, have been removed and nearly every item was sold for far more than the remaining big heavy lathe is worth. The tooling is easy to ship and brings lots of money on eBay from those guys that bought the cheap bare bed lathes and want to use them. There are also buyers with worn-out tooling looking for a better replacement. Makes a healthy market.

Larry

Another point we forgot to mention - AFAIC a potentially "usable" "bare bed" machine still has a good lever collet closer & the threads in the collet tube are "decent". If they also sold off the lever closer, forgetaboutit. (Probably better spelled in Italian, but I'm not and can't fake the accent :) ) Even if it includes a knob type drawtube for the spindle, there is very little value left unless you need the pulleys, motor, spindle assembly or contactors for another lathe.

smt

Omniturn says they have a CNC conversion kit for the Hardinge DV/DSM/DSM-R etc. OmniTurn attachment price list I guess it might be done, but I have no idea what it would cost. People with the home-built CNC dream provide a market for the bare bed lathes.

Used Hardinge 5C lever collet closers sell for around $500 complete in working condition.

Larry

Back