What's new
What's new

Hardinge GT27 spindle overheat error.

AlacrityMachine

Plastic
I purchased a 1998 Hardinge GT27 with a Fanuc 18t control. Installed it powered it up, tinkered and tinkered.

I've almost got all the bugs worked out. Or atleast to the point where I can make it do a thing.

I've got spindle motor over heat error, and a spindle drive fault error, error code on the drive is a 1 indicating it the spindle motor is ever heated. I haven't even had the chance to turn the spindle on yet because of this error.

I tore apart the back of the spindle motor I can get to the RPM sensor but I'm not sure about digging far enough to get to the tempature sensor. There's gotta be on right ? the fan is automatically on as soon as I start up the machine. (I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if that's just because of the error)

If I knew how to post pics from my phone i would.

Thanks guy's.

I did a quick look at my the manuals that came with our 97 machine and did not find a spindle or spindle motor heat sensor. I am going to guess the fault is entirely within the spindle drive electronics.
We had a couple of issues with ours in the early days. Blew the power supply and live tooling boards. A Hardinge tech told us to set the control transformer tap to 100 volts to reduce the voltage on the electronics and have had no issues since. With a high line voltage 247 to 249 things would happen while powering up with the current inrush charging the capacitors.
If no one else has had this issue you may need to go through the distributor to get technical help, it was easier in the old days when you just called Hardinge and an expert talked you through any issue.
I am guessing the machine had an over voltage event or spike before you got it, hopefully you can get through all the issues and get it going again. It is sure a productive machine for the right jobs.

Back