What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC

toolite

Aluminum
I have acquired an older hc chucker with the automatic threading unit. It is pretty much complete. After about 5hrs of
clean-up and rebuilding air cylinders in the threading head, its running smooth and cutting nice looking 1/2-13 threads.
I got about 16 lead screws & followers with a few extra followers. The lead screws & followers I'm missing are the
12 & 14 pitch ones.

I called Hardinge and talked to "Kelly". She said I need part numbers. She e-mailed me a copy of the later model HC parts manual
but they aren't listed in it.

Does anyone know how I might get such numbers? Do you know of someone at hardinge that possible could help.

Thanks and have a great day!
Wayne Pegram

Yes, the pitch masters and followers won't be in the HC parts book. They are in the "Operator's Manual for Automatic (and Manual) Threading Unit(s) on Model HC (Hardinge Super-Precision) Chucking Machine(s)." Two versions of that manual, one with the words in parentheses and one without. This is not the same as the maintenance manual for the threading unit. I don't have a copy, but there are some fairly cheap on eBay. Call Hardinge again and see if they will send the manual you need for free.

These parts definitely aren't online at the shophardinge.com or hardingeus.com websites.

I called hardinge back and got thru to the parts department. Last time it seems I got patched thru to a distributor and spoke with "Kelly". She was helpful, e-mailing me the operators, maintenance, and parts manuals for the HC lathe. Already had the threading unit manual mentioned by "sfriedberg" (thanks for your reply!). No part numbers for the lead screws & followers.

Back to the parts department. I was informed that Hardinge doesn't make them any more. They have a few "old stock" ones, but not the ones I wanted.

I got a 32 pitch lead screw off e-bay, when it gets here I'm going to attempt to thread it to a 12 pitch. I know they are harden so I will give it a go with carbide. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for looking
Wayne

I've made 'em for my DV in the past, including the hobbing section to cut the follower.
Long obsolete at Hardinge (for the DV's), and vanishingly rare on eBay.

Used O-1, but would probably use A2 or S7 next time to eliminate the oil dunk step. I soaped up the threads good before heat treat, so they came out fine. But airhardening despite the extra expense of the steel takes a lot of consternation out of the home shop heat treat operation.

I bet plain old 4140 Prehard would last an awful long time witha 660 bronze follower, unless you really are going into production threading.

Nice score on that auto unit! always wanted one to play with.

smt

Back