What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Carriage strip down question - METRIC machine

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

Just about to start stripping down the apron of my METRIC HLV-H to fit a new Rack & Pinion gear but something in the back of my mind is saying I can't take the carriage handwheel assembly off by just taking out the three securing cap heads because the machine is metric and the gear will not come through the hole ... is this correct??

If this is so ... is there any reason why I can't leave the handwheel on?

Sadly in the official Hardinge HLV-H Maintenance manual there is no reference to this issue.

Comments would be greatly appreciated

John :typing:

Do you mean the Carriage Shaft?

This one? If so, this should answer your question.
( from a recent run of them )

HLV-H-PINION-SHAFT2.jpg

HLV-H-PINION-SHAFT3.jpg

Do you mean the Carriage Shaft?

This one? If so, this should answer your question (from a recent run of them )

Thank you for your input but no it does not answer the question. I'm lead to believe that the METRIC gear (as shown in your pictures) will not come through the hole in apron because its bigger than the Imperial one.

Do you know the size of the metric and imperial gears ... and once known I need to know the size of the hole in the apron face ...

OR has anyone had this issue stripping a METRIC carriage apron?

John:typing:

John,

Ah. Okay. My mistake. My ( very fuzzy ) recollection is that it will not. We have a customer that has one of each. ( Imperial and true Metric ) They are not on the forum so I will write them to verify and let you know what I find out.

The common inch machines have a carriage wheel with a 0-600 dial for .6 inch per revolution. Counting off a travel of, say 2.77 inches is enough to drive one to getting a DRO. I am curious what the dial shows on a metric machine.

Larry

Hi folk well after a day of working on my HLV-H METRIC the findings are as follows:

Firstly the Hardinge Maintenance Manual (# M-10C P/n.M C-0009500-0010) may be fine for Imperial machines but in the case of "Carriage Apron Disassembly" for METRIC machines it does not truely reflect what it's actually like.

Chapter One, Page 1-1, para 8 states "Remove three screws "G" and remove handwheel assembly "D" ... Well you CAN'T!!! simply because the metric carriage pinion gear is BIGGER than the hole it needs to come through!

The gear diameter is 31.8mm / 1.252" and the apron hole is 27.29mm / 1.075"

So ... you either leave it on or go ahead with a strip down of the handwheel assembly as described in Chapter One, page 1-17.

... and some pictures:

Metric Pinion
Complete inner works
Apron ready for new Rack and Pinion gear
Rack and Pinion gear fitted

Job done, hope this helps someone!

John:typing::cheers:

Back