What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H High/low lever not engaging in neutral postition

MooseBadger

Plastic
Greetings.

My names Matt and I am a new apprentice in a machine shop. I have been given the task of working on a few of the Hardinge HLV-V lathes that need some repair. The high/low lever is not engaging in the neutral position. So when I go from running at high speed and attempt to stop the motor if I am not careful it will switch over into the low position. I was wondering if there was some type of detent or assembly that needs tweaking or replacing.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Open the electrical cabinet on the left side of the machine, under the headstock. Look in the upper left hand corner, you will find a drum switch that couples to the high/low speed lever. Something there is probably loose.

Tom

In my experience, the detent is built into the switch. I have noted that Hardinge used more than one make and style of switch over the years, so I can't give exact details, not knowing what kind of switch you have. I expect the problem will be obvious once you look at the switch.

Larry

Thanks for all of the info guys. I found that the spring attached to the lever assembly was broken. replaced the spring and it is good to go.

Thanks again.

Cheers :cheers:

Back