What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H inch/metric - clarify thread possiblities

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1. Will the standard HLV-H cut metric threads via change gears ?
2. Does the inch/metric model (HLV-EM) require any change gears for any of the thread possiblities ?

Guess what I'm getting at is, is the inch/metric model simply more "convenient" or does it have more thread pitch possiblities period ?

Of course I could figure this out on my own by reading the brochures...but I'm feeling lazy today and you guys need something to talk about anyway...

Dang, I thought you guys would hop right on this...but since not, you "forced" me to look at brochures and manuals ! According to Hardinge HLV-H manual you have to buy a special metric attachment and then you can do 34 different metric pitches. I can't find a Hardinge HLV-EM brochure but I've got a Feeler "copy of one" brochure and it shows 36 different metric pitches on the thread box data plate.

So I guess the bottom line is the EM is mostly just more convenient, and does do a whopping 2 more pitches.

Dang, I thought you guys would hop right on this...but since not, you "forced" me to look at brochures and manuals ! According to Hardinge HLV-H manual you have to buy a special metric attachment and then you can do 34 different metric pitches. I can't find a Hardinge HLV-EM brochure but I've got a Feeler "copy of one" brochure and it shows 36 different metric pitches on the thread box data plate.

So I guess the bottom line is the EM is mostly just more convenient, and does do a whopping 2 more pitches.

Milacron,
The metric gear box is required for the HLV-H. It costs about $970. The gear
box set comes with a few gears so you can do a few standard metric threads,
M0.5, M1.00, M2.00. Since every HLV-H installation probably has a few more
gears lying around you can probably get M1.00 and M1.25. For most of the
rest of the 34 pitches you need to purchase additional gears if they are
not in your existing set.

Don't ask how I know the price. The good news is that you can move the metric
gear box to any other HLV-H or HLV (dating back to more than 50 years).

30 tooth = $64
60 tooth = $83
24 tooth = $64

this year
66 tooth = $161

Before you call the factory do whatever it is that gets you nice and relaxed,
like a glass of beer or a hot bath. Then get ready for the prices.

At a genuine market exchange rate (instead of the normal 1$==1£ used for most things) That's about the same price that Myford charge for an ML7 gearbox, a much less substantial lump of metal :eek:

That was just the question a customer was asking for the HLV H I have for sale
Anyone can provide me with the metric threading data and the pitch of the gears ???
Also a picture with some sizes for the mount for that gears would help

Peter from Holland

99% sure the HLV-DR I had would cut metric threads direct. IIRC, it had a knob to select inch or metric. I never cut any metrics on it, but George used to come over to do his metric threads.

Sheesh, I'm thinking Schaublin (Switzerland) was cheaper than that on change gears (for 135 model..larger than HLV) last time I called about two years ago.

Oh well, you only live once. I could cut my own gears if I wanted to. I would need
and horizontal milling adapter and cutters. I would also need a way to index the
blank for cutting gear teeth. I have great praise for a company like Hardinge. Somebody
can go out and buy a machine that is half a century old and there are still brand new parts
made for it. Incredible when you think of that.

That was just the question a customer was asking for the HLV H I have for sale
Anyone can provide me with the metric threading data and the pitch of the gears ???
Also a picture with some sizes for the mount for that gears would help

Peter from Holland

Hi got two of these gear trains set up to cut metric 0.5 / 1.0 / 2.0 & 0.8 / 1.6 on my imperial gear box HLVH saves messing about
sods law its always set for the wrong pitch when you need it

Kevin

Attachments

• Picture 129.jpg
    Picture 129.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,848
  • Picture 130.jpg
    Picture 130.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,242
  • Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,619
  • Picture 131.jpg
    Picture 131.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,427
Last edited:
OK, new question. So when one sees an HLV-H where the box to the far left that contains the change gears is a different shape than the standard box, that is because it's set up for metric gears ? So for about $1,000 one gets this new larger box and the gear yoke...or just the gear yoke ?

Does below photo show the optional metric box ?

5149.jpg

The gear box set comes with a nice box with door. A 127 tooth gear, two or
three other gears and a banjo (for mounting the gears). I think it's called a
banjo. In my case the sent me a second banjo. I think the Hardinge threading
system is the best ever made that goes on a manual machine. Every time I messed
up on a thread cut it was my fault, never the machines fault.

The above photo does show the metric box installed.

There is a time expenditure involved when the metric banjo is installed and you
decide to switch over and run a English thread. The metric banjo has to be removed
to enable the shaft for the English gear cutting gear train to move to the left.

There is a time expenditure involved when the metric banjo is installed and you
decide to switch over and run a English thread. The metric banjo has to be removed
to enable the shaft for the English gear cutting gear train to move to the left.
OK, but you leave the larger "box" in place, right ? Only downside I see is the larger box is kinda doofus looking....like the gear box has developed a goiter or something...

I have threaded imperial threads on an HLV-H w/ an imperial leadscrew and am familiar w/ the slick Hardinge retractable toolpost. But it was 15 yrs ago...

But what is the metric threading sequence on an imperial HLV-H w/ metric gears? Halfnuts have to remain engaged?

Does the metric threading procedure differ at all whether its an HLV-H or HLV-H-EM?

Last edited:
OK, but you leave the larger "box" in place, right ? Only downside I see is the larger box is kinda doofus looking....like the gear box has developed a goiter or something...

The housing stays bolted to the head. The removal operation I described is just
to removed the "1st" gear and the metric banjo. I think the metric box looks cool.

Another advantage to a box with a door is that you can apply grease to the gears.
The internal English gears are not that easy to get at and people neglect the lube job there.
A lathe like a Graziano with a gear train bathed in oil is the ticket.

Back