What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Spares ... One off chance!

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk, although I've got what I consider to be a very good HLV-H (Metric) I know there are certain components that could fail and spares are not too easy to come by, especially here in England so I plan to collect a few "Extras" while there still is a chance.

From those long time HLV-H users among you ... what would YOU look out for to keep your machine going "forever"

All comments sincerely welcomed!

John :typing::cheers:

Hi Charles ... No it was not me who snapped up the E/M Compound :( Still looking for an L3 block though. Buying from Hardinge is now probabily way beyond my budget but some spares are not.

I'm really interested to hear from HLV-H users who have had failures and if there are enough replies maybe it will show a trend of a part failing more commonly than most and worth looking for.

Thanks for your imput ;)

John :typing:

John, the radius turning and taper attachments are good to have. A set of spare belts too. The motor mount platform has two rubber bushings that are in the back where the platform pivots up and down. Eventually the bushings get hard and brittle.

What I think is more important is to wipe the sliding surfaces often to pickup worn metal and then apply new oil. I do that on the bed, cross slide, and compound. Wipe the spindle taper every time you insert a collet or mount a chuck chuck. As a side note, I don't care too much for those accordion style covers for a Bridgeport mill. Sure the ways are covered and if there is a automatic oiler then that's fine. But the worn metal stays on the surfaces and you do not have access to wipe them clean.

I could show you a picture of a drawer of different tool holders that I have and have hardly used. They just came to me with the machine.

I happen to have a HLV-H It is in very poor optical shape but the technical condition I wood call good to very good
It has a broken tumbler body
Now I am eighter looking for a replacement tumbler body or decide that I sell it in parts
BTW does anyone know if there is a difference between a metric and imperial shifter shaft

Peter

Hi Rons ... thanks very much for your imput. Yep, got a Radius and Taper turning attachment along most other common accessories so not worried about that.

I do have spare belts and two spare rubber bushes too. Within the last week I acquired a spare carriage motor and am thinking about the bits of the carriage motor electrics like the diode panel.

Any thoughts about bed wipes?

John :cheers:

I happen to have a HLV-H It is in very poor optical shape but the technical condition I wood call good to very good. It has a broken tumbler body, now I am eighter looking for a replacement tumbler body or decide that I sell it in parts. Peter

The thought has crossed my mind to get a "second" HLV-H and tare it down for spares ... In fact eBay UK had one newly listed last night for a damn near throw away price ... but I couldn't snap it up as I'm currently house moving between countries and don't need the hassel right now :(

Hardinge-HLV-H-centre-lathe

John :typing:

PS: Send me a picture of the broken tumbler ... I may know where one might be!

Back