What's new
What's new

Searching for parts in EU, Bridgeport

ome.machining

Aluminum
Hi

Got myself a old Bridgeport. And when I got it home and needed to turn the head 180° before it could enter my shop, I began having problems. The head did lock even the bolts were very loose.

So I took it apart, and as I feared, the ring where the t-slot bolts run, there are four broken places in the casting.. Almost like the bolts have been over tightened.
The worm and gear also looks like they have been living a hard life

Now I would like to know, can this ring by any chance be fixed? Or do I need to find a 'new' ?

This calls for my second answer. Where do I order parts in the EU?
I'm located in Denmark, so would prefer buying near this.

Hope you can help me.

Warm regards
Rasmus
ac68bc421fe42f3739d7b49268e67e13.jpg

647bb037fdaabc4b53271932eea6d2ce.jpg

618237c5ab213b11efcf3070b4e093d6.jpg

78faa4ce9dc1ccdc111950313310437b.jpg

There are several options for repairing the damage depending on your skill level?

If it were me, I would buy another knuckle and move on.......

Can't help where to buy parts in Europe.....I'm sure someone here would be able to help with a source.

Kevin.

Hi

Got myself a old Bridgeport. And when I got it home and needed to turn the head 180° before it could enter my shop, I began having problems. The head did lock even the bolts were very loose.

So I took it apart, and as I feared, the ring where the t-slot bolts run, there are four broken places in the casting.. Almost like the bolts have been over tightened.
The worm and gear also looks like they have been living a hard life

Now I would like to know, can this ring by any chance be fixed? Or do I need to find a 'new' ?

This calls for my second answer. Where do I order parts in the EU?
I'm located in Denmark, so would prefer buying near this.

Hope you can help me.

Warm regards
Rasmus
ac68bc421fe42f3739d7b49268e67e13.jpg

647bb037fdaabc4b53271932eea6d2ce.jpg

618237c5ab213b11efcf3070b4e093d6.jpg

78faa4ce9dc1ccdc111950313310437b.jpg

H & W for parts 260 422 0020 The gears are usually used up. I always support the head and just use the gears to hold it where I want it. I never try it lift the head with the worm gear.

Hi

I always fully retract the lockpin on the left when adjusting the head and support the head when exceeding > 10 degrees.

Parts:
http://www.sorted-uk.com/
This is a branch of the US-mother with the same name. I once contacted the UK-branch but they never replied.
Sorted has a good rep in the US I gather from here.

I once ordered parts from H&W Machine Repair & Rebuilding - Parts and Service for the Metalworking Industry in the US. Payment & delivery was a breeze and quick but the german customs sucks. Customs discovered among the bearings the 2 rubber belts and exclaimed "Uuuuh rubber parts ?, That`s 30% more tax! " Idiots.

This company in Germany has an extremely good rep among pros and amateurs regarding gears: Selling, repairing, touching up
Kegelrader gerade verzahnt und spiralverzahnt - Madler Webshop.
They have a branch in DK
http://www.maedler.dk/

Maybe another option is it buying a bridgeport basketcase?

On the other hand, maybe you don`t need to swivel the head at all ? Sounds weird? I know shops who have a such a mill for more than 30 years and never ever turned the head once.

Good Luck
Rainer

Hi

And thanks for your replys.
I've been doing some more disassembly, and now the swiveling head are apart from the head and ram.

I have thought about how to fix it. And I think it could be a solution to machine the inner race if the t-bolt circle. Machine most of it, close to the gear. And then make a new one in steel. And bolt it into the head with ~6/7 countersunk bolts.
Then the heads t bolt will have a new inner ring to rest on?

I've been looking for a place to buy spares, beside the ones you share.

Anyone having experience with hardinge UK? They seems to have the parts I need

Warm regards
Rasmus

d5c18e13832519e8a71cc1a6e98c0929.jpg

I have used both Hardinge and Sorted UK in the past - and both did what one would expect.
If you are going to talk to Hardinge you had better be sitting down when they tell you the price!! Nothing is cheap

Hi

Harding replied me, that I should talk to a danish dealer of Bridgeport.
Actually didn't know there were one 😀

But he came with a price that were much higher than expected. In danish crown, it was 22.500, and ordered from us, it would be 6500.
Head, gear, worm and shaft.

Now I've made some new bolts, with 2/3 larger contact surface.
Cut a larger hole so they can enter the slot.
Made with a cnc laser, with perfect fun in outer/inner diameter. Tig welded and afterwards turned to the right thickness and for perfect alignment to the bolt/rod.
Also turned the gear 180°, where it wasn't worn.

I've assembled it all today. And it does spin very easy now. So I'm very glad this simple repair did help.

Otherwise I was planning a total new flange, with slot and everything, to bolt directly into the old. It would have reached ~50mm longer, but it wouldn't be a problem.
But again, this seems to be a success, so until now I'll let It be.. 😀

aba3e4128b4c12d91173b41199b811cd.jpg

Harding replied me, that I should talk to a danish dealer of Bridgeport.

But he came with a price that were much higher than expected. In danish crown, it was 22.500, and ordered from us, it would be 6500.

So 3 fold.

Interesting.
Last Friday I received a quote from Hardinge Germany excelling the US-price exactly 3 fold
My order was suppossed to be 410US$, Germany quoted me 1230 Euros (excluding VAT). All 4 items they quoted the numbers tripled.

Back