What's new
What's new

A custom made carriage length indicator holder

rons

Diamond
Still in progress. The wood parts will eventually be aluminum if I don't change it.I use different length barrels (1", 1.5", 2" for now). The bed clamp can be moved or removed by loosening the allen bolt on the back of the mount. The bottom part in the back is a shoe that fits into the dovetail.

DSC_0937.jpg DSC_0938.jpg

The Hardinge carriage length indicator and indicator carriage stop are separate accessories. I am thinking about a modification to add a indicator carriage stop.

(If I can learn how to get nice big pictures instead of these website modified ones then clarity would be improved)

Last edited:
I have rough cast iron castings available for the indicator holder that will work for you. Cost is $35.00 plus $13.60 for the flat rate postage. Also have steady rest and taper attachment castings available.

Ken
[email protected]DSC01231.jpgDSC01228.jpgDSC01223.jpgDSC01233.jpgDSC01225.jpg

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are after - but here is a simple jig I made, years ago, to hold a dial indicator to determine precise movement of the carriage. It uses a cam lock mechanism, making it easy to position and reposition the indicator as needed. No need for a fancy adjustable stop mechanism - just get the dial close to where it needs to be and zero it out.

Again, I may be misunderstanding what you are after ... if so, please pardon my interruption!
DI-Holder1.jpgDI-Holder2.jpgDI-Holder3.jpg

Again, I may be misunderstanding what you are after ... if so, please pardon my interruption!
View attachment 201192View attachment 201193View attachment 201194

No interruption as I see it. Good job there. The Hardinge bed cannot be easily clamped in the front so I have to pinch it in the back dovetail.
If you look again, I got what I was after. The indicator stays far to the left out of the path of chips and oil.

Here is the Hardinge carriage stop:

H-HD2.jpg

Here is the Hardinge carriage indicator:

H-HD1-1.jpg

These are some custom made ones:

H-HD3.jpg

H-HD4.jpg

Back