What's new
What's new

Hardinge lathe ID

tar356

Aluminum
Can anyone give me some info on this lathe? Model number, etc.

Any chance it could be converted to CNC?

Hardinge.jpg

Thanks,

Todd
Orange, CA

Looks like it's been converted already... I've never seen a Hardinge Chucker with drives instead of handwheels that wasn't a DSMA model. Maybe it came that way but it's not something I've ever seen...

That's not one of the early AHC's because they were chock full of cams and mechanical controls. In fact, it doesn't really look like an AHC with parts stripped off. The headstock's got the mounting pads for the HC threading apparaus, so I guess it was originally an HC on which somebody's already done a automatic control conversion. As to whether you can put a CNC control on it without having to re-convert it will depend deeply on what's in those motor cans and on the ends of the attached cables.

Added in edit: Overlapped reply with apoc_101

Looks to me to be an HC chucker that was already converted, bringing that thing back to life could be more trouble than it is worth. If you can not get help from whoever built or installed the conversion, pulling the whole mess off and installing an Omniturn would be the easiest solution.
I have run 2 of them for over 20 years now and the they are productive and low cost.

Looks like it started off as HC chucker basic parts (wide bed, rear motor carriage drive, headstock, etc). That plate on the right front cabinet door (illegible in the pic), and the nameplate info might provide further info. to someone with more knowledge.

Could it be "POSITOOL"?

Todd
Orange, CA

oh shit... just saw the Positool plaque on the right-hand door in the original posters photo... there ya go! They were a professional CNC retrofitter. In theory this would be a good lathe (for its capacity) for modern CNC usage... I would totally use it if it were me. Hell I've got a few jobs here that would rock on that machine, set it up for one high-count job and run as necessary.

Back