What's new
What's new

Hardinge Lathe Query.

redlee

Titanium
maxresdefault.jpg

I have a chance to purchase one of these cheap, what exactly were they designed for?
No tailstock,no threading, limited travel.
Dont know if I should snag it or pass on it.
Thanks

They were used for second operations in a manual shop. It may have been deburring, facing off, parting off, or other single/second operations. They weren't designed as general purpose machines. With the right additions, they can be used for production turning, threading, etc. But they aren't general purpose engine lathes as standard.

The slide rest is worth around US$1000 and the lever collet closer is worth around US$500, so consider just how you define "cheap" in this context. The rest of the lathe is worth something, too, of course.

Larry

HSL it's called. Those things are real handy for any kind of polishing, deburring, minor tweaks to a part. Used like a speed lathe, this one has the XY stage making it even more useful.

It depends on just how cheap it is and how much more you’d Haiti spend to make it useful. Do you have chucks and collets that would fit it already?

I find mine to be very useful and I wouldn’t readily give it up. No tailstock, nor room for one, but I’ve done plenty of drilling with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This lathe is an absolute piece of junk. Do not buy it.

In fact I am so upset that the seller has attempted to fleece you, please provide me with his
name, address, and phone number so I can do a proper job of rebuking him.

Back