What's new
What's new

Hardinge milling machine

badge171

Aluminum
I just picked up another project, I cannot find a model number ,But from e-bay pictures I believe its an BB2V , Its in great condition with almost no ware , It also came with 17 or 18 collets , I will post, but I have it torn apart to get into my basement, Can the machine be dated by the serial # 23183 . And is there any source for owners manuals, I figure this machine is in such nice condition Ill make it look new again. Any Idea of value? I shelled out 800$$ , Do you think I overpaid,
Thanks

Frank,

There is a Hardinge serial / date list on one of the Yahoo Hardinge group sites, the lathe group, I think. Although the serial number sequence included several of the different Hardinge machines (TLs, ESMs, TM-UMs, etc) in production at the time, it shows sn 23050 as the first machine built in 1945 and 24104 as the first machine in 1946. There is no way, that I am aware of, to tell how many BB2Vs were made in any year or in total.

If in good shape and with the tooling you describe, I think $800 is a very good price.

Your best bet for documentation, if any exists, is to ask for it here and in the Yahoo Hardinge mill group files. The smaller mills, such as yours, do not appear to have been made in significant numbers so it is likely that no documents were produced. Hardinge produced the TL lathe and TM-UM mill during the same time period (late 30s through the 40s) in significant numbers. No parts list for the TL is known to have been produced and operators manual for the TL and TM-UM, while helpful, are little more that a brochure describing the control's functions.

Larry V, who posts here frequently, is probably the single most knowledgeable person with respect to Hardinge machines of that era and their documentation.

Jim

I have only seen catalog pages on the bench mills. They were based upon the mills Hardinge made before 1910, and a few of the parts and accessories even fit all versions.

Accessories, like the vise, indexing head, swivel base and hand cranks, are very difficult to find, hence very expensive.

Larry

BBV2 Brochure - 001.jpgBBV2 Brochure - 002.jpgHardinge BB2V bench mill descr 1946 brochure.jpgHardinge BB2V bench mill pic 1946 brochure.jpgBench Mill Index 1.jpg

Thanks
The picture posted is the machine I have,
The history of the mill is the man I purchased it from bought it 30 something years ago, and never used, I have it completely apart right now cleaning and painting,Don't know if Ill use it much, but I had to have it..
Thanks for the information
Frank

Back