What's new
What's new

Thoughts on Acer Ultima 3VS

chipbreaker

Plastic
Since this seems to be a really close copy of a Bridgeport, I am posting this question in this forum. My apologies if it needs to be in another area. Now on the the question.
Does anyone here have any experience operating an Acer Ultima 3VS? Any likes, dislikes, maint issues, etc? From what I can find using the search function, what little I can find, it seems to be a pretty good machine. Also, when transporting the machine, would you suggest rotating the head 180 degrees or leave it up since there may be some funkiness that may drip down during the 100 mile transport?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

We've got one here at work. No specific problems, just be aware that parts can be a problem. Is this an E-mll? That design gets rid of the Reeves belt design.

JR

JR,
This is not an E-mill it's an Ultima 3VS. I believe it utilizes the Reeves design. The mill appears to have been used very little, maybe .002 backlash if that much, runs quiet and has power feed on table and DRO's. $1600 is hard to pass up considering the last Bridgeport I looked at had 1.5 turns of backlash on x axis and 1 revolution of backlash on the y axis and looked rough and seller wouldn't come off of the $1700 asking price.

Thanks for the link for moving the Acer mill. I looked that over the other day.

The Acer mills are a good machine, we have 2 in our shop, and we are an Acer dealer and have sold alot of Mills(over 100) with very happy customers. We have never had a problem getting parts for our customers.The v/s parts are still available so that is not a problem. If it is as nice as you say it is that is a screaming deal. Remember the backlash can be adjusted as the nuts are slotted,so it could have more wear, then the backlash you are showing.Later Jason.

If it is as nice as you say it is that is a screaming deal. Remember the backlash can be adjusted as the nuts are slotted,so it could have more wear, then the backlash you are showing.Later Jason.
Jason,
From what I can gather about the mill, it never saw regular production usage and was just used on occasion until the business was shuttered. Ways look like the machine was hardly used. Still as crisp as a new mill.

They are nicer than BPs I have overhauled a few of them. The Emill is sweet but the reeves drives are fine it should work out well for you..

Just working on getting transportation arranged, dealing with a sick 12 year old little girl and having to leave for job in Norfolk for a week. Things have hit all at the same time.......

Back