What's new
What's new

Hardinge radius attachment - What does the tool look like ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I ask, as in photos the tool holder portion appears to have a round hole, so wondering if they made a special tool just for that attachment or expected folks to use a short boring bar, or what ?

like putting a concave radius in the end of 1/4 rod.. Cheers.

I've used the Model C a number of times and wondering how you would set up to put a radius on the end of a 1/4 inch rod. Problem always is that you can't get the radius attachment close to the chuck. The rod has to hang out about 3 inches. Steady rest is not an option because the radius attachment is in the way. Are you supposed to take 0.001 cuts or what?

So in below drawing, one wonders if the 136.5mm represents from bed to center of the rectangular hole.... or bed to the tool surface ? If the figure is to the tool surface it is too short by aprox 3.6 mm, yes ?

hardinge radius drawing.jpg

Never measured the actual rta, but from making tools and such for it, a blank 5/16 tool requires a small shim to bring the top face to lathe centerline. (probably a long-winded explanation...)Cheers,

That agrees with my experience. I found the shims to be a hassle. I used 3/8 square HSS tool blanks and took them down to 5/16 x 3/8 on a surface grinder. The top of the 3/8 high tool blank is in about the right spot, easy enough to grind down a little if needed. I wonder why Hardinge didn't use a 3/8 sq hole in the first place, maybe they had trouble with the part cracking and narrowed it up to 5/16 to resolve that.

Back