What's new
What's new

Hardinge serial numbers 1902-1977

L Vanice

Diamond
Many of you have seen the Hardinge serial number list on the Yahoo! Hardinge lathe and mill groups sites. I am not going to copy the table here, out of legal concerns. I am an engineer, not a lawyer, so I will play it safe. I thought my comments about the table and my own experiences would be of interest to readers of this forum.

The Hardinge 1936-1977 serial number file you have seen, headed "TM-UM-HC CHUCKERS," is actually the main serial number list that applies to almost all old Hardinge machines or tooling. The numbers are for items completed in January of the listed years.

The main number sequence goes back to about 1902 with about Number 1. I have seen early Cataract headstocks with no serial number, so it is not clear when they started numbering. I have only two date/serial data points before 1936, but December 31, 1927 was 5747 and December 31, 1935 was 12395. The 1936-1977 table gives numbers for machines built in January of the year listed. The apparent conflict in the January, 1936 number of 12309 probably reflects a variable lag between number assignment and actual completion of different machines. The highest serial number I have on a Chicago headstock is 11,141. I believe the 1931 switch from Chicago to Elmira was at a serial number between 11,141 and 12,309.

Many individual items had numbers in the early days, not just the headstocks. As far as I know, headstocks, tailstocks and beds on the Cataract machines each had their own numbers, not matching. Most Cataract tailstocks were not numbered. Hardinge trusted their interchangeability. I suspect that, early on, small items may have been numbered independently of the lathes,(in their own sequences), but I am not sure. I have a Cataract bench miller vise that is marked "No. 36" within the oval Hardinge Chicago stamp. I can't believe that this vise was the 36th item that Hardinge built, but it could have been the 36th vise. I have several thread cutting and chasing attachments with numbers in the 300's. Again, I suspect these items were not numbered in the same sequence with the lathe headstocks, but I don't really know. I have a pair of Cataract headstock and tailstock 2 inch riser blocks with matching numbers, and these are the only matching numbered items I have seen. I don't have the slide rest riser block that was supposed to be with them.

Note that Hardinge Cataract items almost always have the words "Serial No." stamped to the left of the number. Often, the headstock serial numbers will begin with the model number (37, 47, 57, 49 or 59) with a dash to separate it from the serial number. These serial numbers are placed in plain sight on the part. If an item like a slide rest has assembly numbers stamped on several components, they are more or less hidden after assembly and never say "Serial No." next to them.

The lathe serial number exceptions from the main sequence began in 1946, when the then-new dovetail bed DV, DSM and VBS lathes got their own number sequence. Then, in 1950, The new HLV and TFB lathes (5 inch beds) got their own sequence. In 1960, the "new model" DV-DSM-VBS and the HLV-H and TFB-H (7 inch beds) started over with yet more new number sequences. They did it again in 1962 with the "new style" chuckers, in 1963 with the ASM and in 1964 with the HSL. My information source ends in 1966, but I suppose the various NC and CNC model series got new numbers also.

The Machinery Dealers National Association sells a book titled Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery (11th Edition) for $39.95 plus s&h. They sell the book by phone at (800) 872-7807.

I have not seen a copy, so I don't know if it has any more or less information than the chart on Yahoo. The Yahoo chart may have been copied from an old edition of the MDNA book. I got a copy of a 1936-1966 Hardinge list from a machine dealer about twenty years ago. That is where I got the information on the 1946 and later serial number ranges for the new model lathes. He made the copy from a book of numbers for many different brands of machine. I did not get a copy of the title page, so I don't know who published it. I suppose most all machine dealers have a copy, and the older editions would be of special interest to people who like old machines.

Thirty years ago, when I first started collecting Hardinge machines, I called the factory and they gave me a build year and model designation for a couple of old Elmira machines I had. I never asked the date of any of my many Chicago machines. I try not to bother them, so I don't know what they would do about a request these days. I know they don't have parts going back very far, but they may not have pitched all the serial number records yet.

Larry

[ 07-08-2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: L Vanice ]

I think there's another issue at work when
one sees sub-assemblies like compound slides
or vises with single or double digit numbers
on them, and I've seen this in the past.

I think that companies did small production
'runs' of items like that, and during the
manufacture there was a great deal of hand
fitting, very rapidly during the run the parts
were fitted or scraped into assembly and so
they had to be kept as unique assemblies even
though some of the operations could be done
en masse with similar parts.

I maintain that they solution was to simply
stamp parts with numbers in that lot. So
things like gibs, slides, dovetails and so
on would all go together by their numbers.

I have several compound slides with parts
stamped like that, and the tip-off is that
the same number appears everywhere in the item,
even in places that make no sense as a serial
number.

However I do know that hardinge did serialize
their compound slides in the chicago days,
here's proof:

http://www.geocities.com/noramm10566/59ssn.jpg

which is a blow up from this slide:

http://www.geocities.com/noramm10566/59slide3.jpg

I'm trying the find the S/N of my machine - I understand it should be on the headstock on the end under the collet closer. My machine has been painted so I guess its buried. Before I go digging too much I'd like to know an exact location - does anyone have a picture they could mark up with the location?
Where the S/N always in the same location?
Thanks,

Bill

I'm trying the find the S/N of my machine - I understand it should be on the headstock on the end under the collet closer. My machine has been painted so I guess its buried. Before I go digging too much I'd like to know an exact location - does anyone have a picture they could mark up with the location?
Where the S/N always in the same location?
Thanks,

Bill
This thread is over 3-1/2 years old!
You may want to start a new thread with your question and get a quicker answer.
pg

We do quick answers to new questions that are on topic, no matter when the thread was started.

The location of a Hardinge serial number depends upon the kind of machine and when it was made. So far, lavrgs has not provided that information and we can only assume he is asking about a Hardinge machine of some sort.

But I can say the number on Cataract and later Hardinge flat belt lathe and mill headstocks is on the vertical flat surface under the spindle nose.

Here is a Cataract 57 headstock 5289, probably made around 1926.
57-52892.jpg

Here is a Hardinge open 37 headstock made in the early 1940's.
BB372.jpg

Larry

Larry,

I recently purchased an older Hardinge HCT and it is missing the speed control unit.

Would you have a speed control unit or know where I could get one?

Thanks,
Alan

OOPs The machine is an HC. It would be nice to know the year it was built but my main reason for asking is when I tried to order new handles they asked for the serial number - I got a general location but wasn't able to find it.
Today it will be coming out of the cold and into a warmer shop and I'll have more time to look in the next few days.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Jim - I was looking at the wrong end. I just got the machine into my shop and am starting to assess the damage from its faceplant. I'll go have a look to see if my number is visible. s/n HC 2927 H

Is there a good source for parts? We have Beaver Machine Tool in Portland but I've never used them and they've already taken a couple days to get back to me on new handles...

Bill

Hardinge serial numbers and year of manufacture

Larry,
I realize your original post was over 3 years ago but I'll bet there will always be someone wishing to know (at least approximately) when their machine was built. Shortly after I purchased my HLV-H I called Hardinge in Elmira (my hometown BTW) to inquire about some parts. Since I had to provide my serial number (HLV-H-10185-T), I figured I might as well ask them when the lathe was produced. Here is their response:

Manufactured Date : 1981
Original Configuration : Taper nose spindle, wired for 230 volts
Probably sold for approx $ 16,469 new in 1981

I figure if enough of us who know the year of our machines post the Model, S/N, and year then it wouldn't be long before the rest could interpolate their S/N to gauge their year plus or minus a year or two and you could update your table.

Also, if someone is interested enough to call Hardinge, everyone I've spoken to there has always been very helpful, even though I've only purchased a parts manual from them so far.

Thanks!

We have 3 DSMA's ( from mid 70's to 1980 we think )with serial numbers DSMA- 5C - 1181, 1321 and 1431.
We are looking to buy another but are told that the serial number is DSMA-5C-760s.
We have been told that this is a 1977. Can anyone verify this ? And why the "s" and not just a serial number as the others?

My HC is #HC 2991 H.
Hardinge said it was a 1970.
The spindle shaft was marked in ink 1969.
No local dealer, but the factory people were great.
Spindle bearings were reasonable in price, and pre lubed.

I have an older Cataract 9 inch that has no serial number stamped on the headstock. There is just No 124 stamped by the Hardinge stamp. It has a Chicago nameplate. Anyone have a guess at the manufacture date? flowers and lathe no. 003.jpg

I have an older Cataract 9 inch that has no serial number stamped on the headstock. There is just No 124 stamped by the Hardinge stamp. It has a Chicago nameplate. Anyone have a guess at the manufacture date? View attachment 142369

The serial number is 124, which makes it very early, probably before 1909. It appears from the picture to be a 9 inch swing, and I suspect it takes 4C collets, which would make it a model 47.

Larry

The serial number is 124, which makes it very early, probably before 1909. It appears from the picture to be a 9 inch swing, and I suspect it takes 4C collets, which would make it a model 47.

Larry

No collets were with the lathe when I bought it. The spindle has a large male taper for the Cushman chuck that came with the lathe and in internal taper for collets. The diameter of the open edge of the internal taper is about 1 7/16 inches. Compared to the robust headstock, the tailstock is of rather light design. It has an internal taper that appears to be the proprietary one Hardinge used for tailstocks, similar in size to a MT 1 but with a steeper angle.

No collets were with the lathe when I bought it. The spindle has a large male taper for the Cushman chuck that came with the lathe and in internal taper for collets. The diameter of the open edge of the internal taper is about 1 7/16 inches. Compared to the robust headstock, the tailstock is of rather light design. It has an internal taper that appears to be the proprietary one Hardinge used for tailstocks, similar in size to a MT 1 but with a steeper angle.

The 1 7/16 dimension means you can use 5C collets, a very good thing because the collets are cheap and easy to get. The tailstock from a 1940's Hardinge ESM 59 is a much better and heavier design and will take 1 MT tooling. I can sell you a collet draw bar if you need one.

Larry

Back