What's new
What's new

Hardinge Taper Turning Attachment

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk ... sure this is a simple question but I don't know the answer. Is the Hardinge Taper Turning Attachment the same for both the HLV and the HLV-H?

If not what is the difference(s) and if there are specific differences can someone advise me please. I'd hate to buy the wrong one sometime in the future.

Thanks 😣 John

Hi Rons ... thanks very much for you're input. I had a feeling tool would fit but something is niggling me. I have the offer of one and considering its over a US $1000.00 plus heavy shipping costs to England I need to know it's right.

Appreciate the links too ... tried to contact Hardinge and various other outlets but sadly no replies.

John😕

Hi Charles. ...

Thank you very much for your input and details. Obviously not quite as clear cut as would first appear.

Would appreciate dropping you a PM when I get a bit nearer to a possible purchase.

Regards John 😉

Jersey,
First, are you asking about a taper turning attachment, or the Radius turning attachment shown by Charles?

I have a 1985 HLVH, with both attachments. I can not speak to the HLV. The taper turning attachment is held to the side of the bed, as seen in Rons photo above. the keyway on my machine is 7/16" and held with two tbolts. The attachment attaches to the cross slide with a single bolt thru the distant end of the cross slide. so, for intents, and purposes. they are universal. to add or subtract the position of the tool, you just move your toolpost, or use the compound to make up the difference. Hope this helped best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris ... the subject is very much the Taper Turning Attachment. ... as far as I can see there is nothing different about my HLV-H (1982) built in the UK. I'm sure the keyways are standard but I can't check until next week as I'm away ....

Thanks for your input - appreciated!

John 😃

Hi Charles. .. no problem, your data is still good as I'm looking into the Radius Attachment too ... just wasn't planning to ask questions tonight lol.

Right now though need to clarify the situation with the taper turning attachment.

Best regards John

I have a TFB-H, which shares tooling, including the taper and radius attachments with the HLV-H.

I bought a taper attachment for the narrow bed HLV or TFB some years ago. It pretty much fit my lathe except that the top of the slider was too low to bolt directly to the cross slide. I made a spacer that attaches to the top of the slider and it all fit OK. I think the slider is the only part that is common to the narrow and wide bed lathes. The narrow bed angle bracket that attaches to the back of the bed must let the long guide sit a bit lower than the bracket for the wide bed. My spacer is .70" high. I think I saw a difference in the angle markings and fine adjusting device between the narrow and wide bed versions when looking in catalogs. But it is probably pretty hard to tell the difference from the average eBay pictures.

Here are pictures, including one of it installed on my TFB-H. I will sell it, but prefer to keep it in the USA incase it needs to be returned for some reason.

I also have a radius attachment for the TFB-H/HLV-H for sale. I got it by trading a, HLV radius attachment to a guy who could not make the HLV-H attachment fit properly on his lathe.

Larry

DSC00454.jpgDSC00480.jpgDSC00481.jpgDSC00482.jpgDSC00483.jpg

Hi Larry .... thanks for your input. Starting to get a clearer picture now. Really don't want to be making spacers when I'm spending that amount of money, I might as well get the "correct" attachment for the HLV-H.

I'll email you about the Radius Attachment.

Thanks again

John

Hi folk ... sure this is a simple question but I don't know the answer. Is the Hardinge Taper Turning Attachment the same for both the HLV and the HLV-H?

If not what is the difference(s) and if there are specific differences can someone advise me please. I'd hate to buy the wrong one sometime in the future.

Thanks 😣 John

Private Message sent!

Back