What's new
What's new

Hardinge TM drawbar - wrenches?

leeko

Stainless
Hi everyone,

I've been working on getting a 1941 hardinge TM up and running. It's all original, including the original drawbar. My question is: how was the drawbar designed to be tightened? It looks like a handwheel, but I don't think I can get it tight enough by hand. I can get a large spanner wrench around it and into the grooves - is that what was intended?

Also - is it ok to tighten it against the spindle lock? Or is another pin wrench required for the back end of the spindle? There are two holes at 180 degrees on the back of my spindle.

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hardinge made at least two styles of wrenches for their notched manual drawbars. An older style is cast iron and the latest style is nicely formed from sheet stock and hardened.
Hardinge drawbar wrench 1.jpgHardinge drawbar wrench 2.jpg

Yes, the spindle lock pin on the left side of the column is the correct way to lock lock the spindle for drawbar tightening. Do not use the nut on the back end of the spindle (with two pin spanner holes). That nut is what holds the spindle bearings and spacers on the spindle itself. In fact, the entire spindle ass'y can be removed from the front of the column without loosening that retaining nut.

Jim S.

Hi Ted, thanks but I'll pass. Found a close enough wrench I modified to suit.

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Back