What's new
What's new

Conquest T42 - Setting work offset for sub-spindle (Y-axis) has no effect.

torinwalker

Aluminum
Programming Question: G10 P0 Y-n.nnnn not behaving as indicated in Programmer's Manual

Sorry guys, this is kind of a noob question, but in the Hardinge Conquest T42 Programmer's manual under section 16, page 16-19 it shows an example of transferring a part from the sub-spindle to the main spindle.

In this example, it shows setting two work offsets - the first G10 sets the Z axis (which works as expected), and the second G10 sets the sub-spindle work offset. This is so that you can command both axes relative to the zero-offset of the part being produced. Makes sense this way.

Code:
N84 (TRANSFER TO MAIN) ; Sequence Number and Operator Message
G10 P0 Z-1.75 ; Main Spindle Work Shift
G10 P0 Y-1.75 ; Sub-Spindle Work Shift for Workpiece Transfer
G97 S2500 M14 ; Main Spindle 2500 RPM Reverse
M98 P1 ; Call Safe Start Program O1
M32 ; Sub-Spindle Sync to Main Spindle
M21 ; Main Spindle Collet Open
M36 ; Main Spindle Air Blast ON
G0 Y-1. ; Rapid Part 1" into Main Spindle (Figure 16.16)
<deleted for brevity>
M1 ; Optional Stop

Except... the G10 P0 Y-1.75 doesn't seem to have an effect. The sub-spindle moves in absolute coordinates regardless of the work-shift offset I choose.

I tested this using
G10 P0 Z-5.0
G10 P0 Y-5.0
G0 Z0
G0 Y5

and both the turret and the face of the sub-spindle line up at 5" from the main spindle. This /should/ have placed the Y-axis (the sub-spindle) 5" further out than the turret face (that is, 10" from the main spindle nose.)

I even tried combining them into one command - Z works, and Y still doesn't.

Why does the Z work offset function correctly, but not the Y-axis? Can anyone offer a real sub-spindle transfer code example that works?

Torin...

when the control reads the G10P0Y- command does the value go into the workshift file? If it does reset the Y to 0 and record the Y axis abs or machine position, then rerun the command and check the Y abs or machine value and it should be different from the previous value by the amount you are entering. If this is the case then something else is not correct

Tom

Ah. thank you. You've hit the nail on the head. When I input the commands (just an example)
G10 P0 Z-5.0
G10 P0 Y-5.0

Only the Z workshift file offset is affected.

Here I enter both the Z and Y offsets (I have also tried entering them as a single line with both Z and Y params, and even tried Y before Z.)

IMG_4233.jpg

After running the MDI command and going back to the workshift file, only the Z value is affected.

IMG_4234.jpg

I can modify the value manually on this page by typing in a value and pressing INPUT, and I have tried setting it to some non-zero value and running my spindle-transfer program (or through MDI), as well as setting it back to zero... as if somehow thinking by entering a value I might un-stick whatever is stuck :-) But no matter what I try, only the Z value gets changed. The Y value is ... stuck.

I agree, something is wrong here. I looked through several hundred parameters looking for some flag (a bit that is set or not set) that might be different between the Z and Y axes, but after combing through all the parameter, I could find nothing obvious that would suggest one field is read/write and the other read-only.

Back