What's new
What's new

Help with Bridgeport j head

Havic9

Plastic
Hello. Been a long time reader but first time posting. I have a Bridgeport J head. Just the head. I recently found a older complete knee,column,ram assembly which I think is a Jet brand.It currently has a head on it but its missing the quill and some other parts. The ways and table are in really good shape. Will my J head fit on this assembly? Thank you in advance for any help you guys have.

I'd bet on it fitting. If not, then all is needed is an adapter plate. I have a J-head on a millrite base, a bolt on affair.

If it doesn't fit then you ought to write a letter to Jet Manufacturing and tell them that they did not copy the Bridgeport dimensions correctly.

I haven't bought the knee assembly yet. I'm actually not 100% it's a older Jet. It has a M casted into the front of the column. It's painted white and appears to be original paint. That's really the only markings on it. It's also got a strange table power feed box attached to the left side of the table. The feed mechanism is inside a sheet metal box that appears to be a small chain drive. It's dirty from sitting but appears to be solid. Just hate to go thru the trouble getting it home to find my head won't attach right. Has anyone ever seen such a animal like I described?

What is it going to cost you to get the base to your workshop ?

I have a Tawainese BP copy - I'd bet the BP head would fit mine.

Last edited:
What is it going to cost you to get the base to your workshop ?

I have a Tawainese BP copy - I'd bet the BP head would fit mine.

Won't cost me anything to get it home. Guy wants $600 for it. Probably cost me a 12 pack for the neighbor to bring his tractor over to un load it for me.

Won't cost me anything to get it home. Guy wants $600 for it. Probably cost me a 12 pack for the neighbor to bring his tractor over to un load it for me.

Looks like a no brainer to me - as others have said if it doesn't fit you can make up an adaptor plate.

I haven't bought the knee assembly yet. I'm actually not 100% it's a older Jet. It has a M casted into the front of the column. It's painted white and appears to be original paint. That's really the only markings on it. It's also got a strange table power feed box attached to the left side of the table. The feed mechanism is inside a sheet metal box that appears to be a small chain drive. It's dirty from sitting but appears to be solid. Just hate to go thru the trouble getting it home to find my head won't attach right. Has anyone ever seen such a animal like I described?

I think that's a Birmingham. They supposedly are Meehanite castings. The lead screws are not precision. Not a problem with a good DRO.

I went and looked at it again today to see if I could find any markings. After scouring the web I believe this knee might be a Trionics brand mill. The machine is white. I did a little rubbing on it and discovered a long red decal that matches Trionics if seen on the web. Also cleaned off ways to find they are chrome and have like new scrap marks. Just worries me I won't be able to find any parts for this knee if I buy it.

This knee assembly also looks somewhat strange. It had a very big blocky column and a very long ram. Not crazy long but longer that a regular Bridgeport.

Well I ended up passing on the unknown knee assembly. I found a nice 1974 Bridgeport with a variable speed head . It has a Bridgeport power feed on it. 6f or 8f, not sure how to tell the difference. Thanks for all the opinions and help.

Back