Help with bridgeport X & Y powerfeeds not working - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marc

PM me your E-Mail and I'll sort out a care package of relevant files and circuit diagrams for you via an FTP service. Far too big for direct E-Mail. Don't think there are full test wiring instructions in the set I put up in the group files. I'll have to take a close look at what there is.

You can certainly run a motor directly off the board. Offhand I think the set-up details for the Erskine boards give sufficient connections to do a basic test.

I moderate the Yahoo group and haven't seen your membership request come up. But Yahoo has, reportedly, been playing up recently. Once I have you E-Mail I'll send you an invite and see if that works.

Regards

Clive

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Clive

That would be really appreciated

My email is [email protected]

Thanks
    Marc

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Clive

I received the files thanks

I had more of a play tonight but still nothing

Re tested the motor quickly on the bench and it spins but absolutely nothing via the erskine and dual feed boards so I think il give up with it and eBay the lot as further testing is beyond me to be honest

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The circuit board is a thyristor phase firing circuit. Consider the age of the board, it is not that high tech and you should be able to trace out the components to fix what is bad. If you can learn what a scr or triac is then the rest is a few capacitors and resistors. Clean the top of your bench, trace out the components, and you might learn a few things. Any power feed you can buy today will work but not as well as the stuff you have right there.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it’s the Quinton Crane board that converts the 110vAC to DC so I could remove what I need completely from the cabinet and mount it all on a bit of wood with my bench 110vAC converter to make the testing easier and nearer to deal with

If the Quinton Crane board converts to 110vdc and I have the bench 110vAC transformer then I don’t need anything from the cabinet do I ? If I wire in direct I shouldn’t need the breaker for the 110v supply?

Thanks
    Marc

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M K View Post

If the Quinton Crane board converts to 110vdc and I have the bench 110vAC transformer then I don’t need anything from the cabinet do I ? If I wire in direct I shouldn’t need the breaker for the 110v supply?
    I admit that I don't know all the different varieties of control boards. Spend a few hours tracing out the circuit board and drawing out a schematic diagram. Clean up the motors too.

Are you certain that there is conversion to 110vdc. I just did a google search on Quinton Crane boards and the pictures show that the boards have heat sinked SCRs, large resistors and capacitors. Take a few close-up pictures of both sides of a board. Identify any components that look crispy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marc

Yes you can test the basic drive board and motor functions outside cabinet given a separate 110 V supply.

Use the connection diagram from file 2 "Erskine Connections.pdf". Might as well hard wire the forward-reverse switch connections as you don't care which way it runs for testing. Best to put the speed potentiometer in circuit tho'. Should be OK just bumping a pushbutton on fast traverse but if it does go you will want to check speed control anyway.

Don't forget that the power feed supply contactor in the main cabinet is downstream of the spindle motor contractor so it only pulls in when the spindle motor power is live. Set the forward-stop-reverse switch up on the head to stop position when testing. Motor contractor still pulls in so power feed can run but the spindle motor itself doesn't turn.

Known occasional issues with random self turn off of the auto - manual overload reset on the contractors used on many Adcock-Shipley Bridgeports when they get old. Few good squirts of switch cleaner / lubrication aerosol and several manual operation cycles generally fixes things. I reckon they figure they are due a bit of attention after sitting there doing nowt for 20 or 30 years!

If you do decide that its all too much work and would rather start over with new Align units I'd be interested in buying the kit. Obviously you can have my standard Y-Axis feedscrew, mount and handle. Metric screw tho'.

Regards

Clive

PS :- rons :- UK Brideports have a big transformer in the cabinet to supply the various single phase voltages needed by the control and other circuits. 110 V output for the power feeds.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys

Here is a selection of photos of the quinton crane board

img_8976.jpg

img_8975.jpg

img_8977.jpg

img_8979.jpg

img_8980.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the changeover board

img_8970.jpg

img_8971.jpg

img_8972.jpg

Here is the supply breaker for the 110vac supply, the brown and red show around 115vac but the yellow and green are only around 50vac? is this correct?

img_8964.jpg

This is the 480/220 to 110v transformer in the cabinet

img_8967.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys

img_8977.jpg
    I see at least one SCR. This is important so double check: Get the labeling off of that black multi-leg thing. It's on the board in the upper right. Called a integrated circuit. The top line is usually the part number with the date code underneath. An get the part numbers of the SCR's (thery are standing up attached to the heat sink(s). Or close-up pictures. They board does not look that complicated. But it would be easier if you can locate a circuit diagram and post it. In the meantime you should go over all the parts with a close-up lens and see if identical parts look the same, tiny little holes with black soot, any parts cracked in half.

Get part numbers for:
    IC1
    IC2
    SCR three-legged packages attached to the heat sinks.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boards themselves look good and there is no obvious burnt out area's that point to an obvious failure or fried component,

so if i get this 240v to 110v transformer

img_8983.jpg

i will power the quinton crane board direct from this, but what about the yellow/green wires the also come from the c4 contactor in the original cabinet?

I plan to put the multi lock 12 pin connector for the "Y" axis power feed direct into the 12 pin multilock terminal on the Quinton crane board, so in theory will that work? then i will wire the 12 pin terminal as shown here

img_8984.jpg
    Thanks
    Marc

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the changeover board

img_8970.jpg
    Is this the original condition, or after you cleaned things up? Sometimes indicates the mentality of the orignal/past owner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boards themselves look good and there is no obvious burnt out area's that point to an obvious failure or fried component,

so if i get this 240v to 110v transformer

img_8983.jpg

i will power the quinton crane board direct from this, but what about the yellow/green wires the also come from the c4 contactor in the original cabinet?
    The green with yellow stripe wires are usually ground connection. Easy to check that.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rons

I think these are the bits you want close ups of?

img_8986.jpg

img_8987.jpg

img_8988.jpg

img_8992.jpg

img_8993.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All circuit boards etc are as i found them in the machine

The only thing i cleaned up was the inside of the motors where the carbon brush dust and grime was

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Rons i meant the separate green and yellow wires coming from the c4 contactor that the red and brown 110v feed comes from, except the yellow and green wires are only 50vac it seems?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about part number for IC2? IC1 LM324, a simple package of 4 op amps. A very old part.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edited as ive found it lol

picture -

img_8995.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edited as ive found it lol

picture -

img_8995.jpg
    That is a single opto-coupler.

You have a board made no earlier than 1993. It is all discrete analog parts. Can be examined by circuit diagram. You can trace one out in about 2-4 hours. Or on-line diagram from a manual. Otherwise it's a bunch of guess work or a obvious problem such as a burnt out resistor. Replaced the resistor and everything works again. Take the time to get a understandable schematic even if it takes you a long time to trace everything from scratch.

The analog guts operate to control phase angle firing of a few SCR's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marc

If your Y-Axis drive is complete with an un-bodged wiring loom and multi connector you can just put the connector into the Quinton Crane board and run it direct. The basic looms and multi-connectors are the same for both X and Y axis drives, Y is usually longer tho', regardless of whether it goes direct to a drive board or via the changeover unit.

(I've been slowly assembling a kit and will probably use two drive boards as I have a spare. Changeover boards appear to be very rare, I've yet to see one in for sale 4 years of searching.)

That Erskine diagram should be enough for you to get the looms back into proper order. Its what I used to sort the one on the well mullerred Y-Axis drive unit I found. Wiring had apparently been attacked by a food processor.

Clive