What's new
What's new

Help!!! I need a value before it goes to auction!

MikeColorado

Plastic
20170720_190242.jpg
Hey guys! Just saw this come across roller auctions, and was curious as to a rough value. My boss has some interest in the machine but doesn't know what to bid. I've done a lot of research into bridgeport mills, but I know nothing about the system that it's equipped with. Sorry for the terrible pic, but it has all the info. Got 5 days till auction, I'm counting on your knowledge here fellas! Thanks a ton!
Mike

The add on is a Southwestern Industries 2 axis CNC retrofit package. Its old but still supported. It has a power drawbar for the collets. The fact that it is equipped as CNC I would expect more than normal wear on the machine proper.

I would say $2500 - $3500. To the bottom of the range if there no statement about the machine/controls working. More if you can personally check out the machine.

Tom

Tom is being very generous! Machine was made in 1992 so it's probably seen a lot of service. Top it off with the wires hanging down on the LH side. I'd want to see inside the electrical cab at the back and see if they did a hack job on the retrofit. If it don't run, how much time do you want to put in it? IMO, it would probably be a money pit.
JR

Thats not a SWI Trak, thats an EZ Trak. But it is still supported. I am not a fan of SWI stuff, I think the EZ Traks are a much better control.

Hard to give a value without hearing and seeing it run and looking at the ways. I wouldnt be shocked if it fetches more. A good used 2 axis EZ Trak could fetch probably closer to $8k, but it all depends on the wear.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

treat it like a manual bridgeport.... the control will be a money pit if it does not run, better off with a real machining center IMHO. The open machines have their niche....but 99.999% can be run on a machine with enclosure as well.

A good used 2 axis EZ Trak could fetch probably closer to $8k, but it all depends on the wear.

I agree - I've seen these sell in the NorthEast at auction for that kind of money, all the while shaking my head, wondering why anybody would pay as much or more for a 2-axis Bport as they would a real VMC with enclosure, tool changer, chip auger, 30hp spindle, etc.

I guess if you just want to put something in your basement, these are still the best bet, but industrial buyers are playing the same game of dice with the controls that they would with a old VMC - they're just paying a similar price for a ton less capability. I don't get it, but hey, to each their own.

I bow to HWI and JR. The EX TRAK is indeed a mashup of SWI and Bridgeport. This what SWI says.

"Can I get service parts for my EZ TRAK from you?

Region: Central
Contributor: Wayne Shoaf, Senior Sales Representative

If we made the control, we do have some of the parts for the CNC that we made, but we don’t have the parts that were made by Bridgeport. If we didn’t make the control, we don’t have any of the parts.
"

I also agree that the dangling wire from the table drive motor doesn't excite me.

I revise my estimate downward $700 to $1500, essentially just the value of the mill.

Tom

The pendant is a later model than the serial number listed. It would be unusual to have an upgraded unit installed. I would gamble they have misread the serial number. Probably 267115 which would be a 1994. It may be worth $3500 running but I don't like the looks of the wires hanging from the x axis servo that was pointed out. It it is not under power, stay away.

I bow to HWI and JR. The EX TRAK is indeed a mashup of SWI and Bridgeport. This what SWI says.

"Can I get service parts for my EZ TRAK from you?

Region: Central
Contributor: Wayne Shoaf, Senior Sales Representative

If we made the control, we do have some of the parts for the CNC that we made, but we don’t have the parts that were made by Bridgeport. If we didn’t make the control, we don’t have any of the parts.
"

I also agree that the dangling wire from the table drive motor doesn't excite me.

I revise my estimate downward $700 to $1500, essentially just the value of the mill.

Tom

SWI doesnt do anything with this type of EZ Trak. All of the OEM stuff for this comes from EMI. You can get every part for this beast. :D

SWI made a nasty looking "EZ Plus" I think they called it, no monitor just 3 axis lines.

Interesting. I was under the impression that "TRAK" was a registered trademark of SWI.

Tom

Edit: "Trak" is indeed a registered trademark of SWI. This spreads confusion. Has TRAK become like Kleenex?

T:-

I have a 2 axis EZ trak listed on ebay for $7500 obo and I also have a 3 axis that is in almost new condition that I am going to post soon. I will send you pics if your interested.

@TDegenhart Maybe its because its called the "EZ Trak" or that it doesnt use all caps when spelling Trak... ya know like they had the named changed just enough or they started that model before SWI got the TM?

but you are right, SWI runs all of the TRAK "brand" machines, but this that he has is a Bridgeport OEM controller on it. Far superior in my mind than the "Trak" machine that SWI made for Bridgeport.

Jon

I have a 1994 BP EZ Trak. The controller on the machine in the OP's photo appears to have the original SX control panel and someone has added a full keyboard underneath it. Although the EZ Trak's are antiquated by today's standards and certainly have their limitations, I still enjoy using mine. As others here have stated, make sure you see the machine run and operate with the CNC controls before buying or bid low enough that you can afford to retrofit a new CNC control system to the machine.

Ted

Back