What's new
What's new

Resurfacing My BP Ways

boozer

Aluminum
Heres the before pic, I had .010" dip in the center along with some nasty gouges
knee004.jpg

I started out measureing everything from the top of the dove tail, and found it was consistant with what i saw measuring it with a strait edge.
measuring.jpg

Heres the tool i made from 1/2" x 3" CR steel, and 2 x 2 x 1/4" sq. tube, i also placed tack on the top of the square tube to counter bend it from the tacks on the plate, i then sanded the surface on a granite bock until it was perfectly flat.
scrape.jpg

I made a Scraper from an old file for doing the frosting, it has about a 2" radious on the tip, with sharp sq. corners.
scraper.jpg

I began sanding the surface by gluing 40grit paper to my Plain i made, using spary adheisive, I had to becareful using the 40 grit, sometime there would be a high stone, and it would start to gouge. I then finished it with 100grit paper before i frosted it.
scraping.jpg

The frosting took more time to learn than it did to frost the ways. i practiced on alum, steel, and found that practicing on the back of my bench vice was better than anything. I also found that i could control it better using a small ball pien hammer than i could with a mallot or the side of my hand,

Back