What's new
What's new

HLV carriage drive adapter.

figor

Plastic
Hello

I am looking at buying an HLV via pictures. It appears that the right angle gearbox that attaches the drive to the carriage is missing. I am wondering how difficult this would be to source? I am not familiar with the HLV. FYI it isn't the H but the earlier version.

Thanks,

Fig

Probably the motor failed and the owner just removed the motor and gearbox (for no good reason) or it was robbed to replace another blown motor.

Originals are as common as rocking horse sh1t and an HLV-H replacement (don't know if it's compatible) would cost a lot from Hardinge. If you are inventive, you can make a replacement using a right angle gearbox and variable speed motor. All the HLV gears are 22/29DP stub form. If the lathe has been used with water based coolant, you may find that the inside of the apron gearbox is a disaster area. Mine was and I had to re-manufacture the entire gears+clutches+shafts. Hopefully the one you're looking at hasn't had that level of abuse!

worn-gears.jpg

He says it came from a community college so it has more than likely seen it's fair share of abuse. He wants $1600 so the price seems reasonable if it can be made functional.

Making one fit was my first thought. Do you know if it is a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks

Fig

Back