What's new
What's new

HLV-H Coolant Pump

Sean Solomon

Plastic
Can anyone describe the volume of flow I should expect from the coolant pump on an HLV-H? Mine produces a steady stream, but just barely. It sometimes slows down to an interrupted trickle. It may need a good cleaning, but I don't want to go through the effort of taking it apart if it's already functioning properly. Thanks!

Hi Sean

The flow should be strong without a doubt. Your words like "Just barely" and "Interrupted trickle" do not sound good.

Strongly suggest you inspect it and clean the sump and hoses - good luck ;) ... should be a simple fix!

John :typing:

Ok, I tore it all down and cleaned it out. The pump housing was a little crusty inside but nothing too crazy. I got it cleaned out and blew the lines out, cleaned the sump, etc. The impeller spins like a hot damn (I tested it while disassembled). Got everything put back together, filled up the sump, switched it on, and . . . still trickling.

I read that air in an impeller can keep it from flowing properly. And the pump sounds like it's gurgling when I run it-sounds like a bathtub draining. Is there some way I'm supposed to purge the air from the system?

I'd look for pics of an original impellor and compare them to yours. It might be severely worn especially if someone has been using water-based coolant. HLV's should only be used with oil-based coolant really.

It should prime perfectly well from the height of the oil in the tank. Check that it's rotating in the correct direction. Swap two wires on the motor connections if it's going the wrong way.

I had a new 480 electrical panel installed by an irrigation company. They tested the center pivot pump and left. I turned it on a couple of months later was real disappointed it pumped so little water. I thought the installers had run the bearings dry or something. I watched the motor coast down and realized it was running backwards. Surprised the water went in the correct direction, but it was a centrifugal pump. Swapped 2 wires the same as Mark said and got 600+ gallons a minute.
For the Hardinge pump to be running backwards with the spindle correct in its rotation means that someone in the past worked on it before you. I guess that is a possibility.
My first guess would have been the Hardinge pump was sucking air, they usually make some noise when that happens. I would have guessed a seal on near the motor could leak or a hole in the casting if someone has used coolant instead of cutting oil. So that is another possibility if it is not motor direction.

No dice, it was right the first time around. I emailed Hardinge to see about ordering a replacement impeller. We'll see how much that costs. I started messing with this pump on a lark, and don't have a strong need for flood coolant. I may just have to live with it as is. At least everything's good and clean now!

Back