What's new
What's new

Finding some interesting things V. M head

greenbuggy

Stainless
So I got a used round ram "M" head bridgeport a few weeks ago for $400, including a power feed, tooling, collets and some lathe tooling the guy had no use for. I had to break it down into manageable chunks to remove it from his garage and I'm reassembling everything now, naturally I'm doing what I can to clean up and repair anything that looks out of place.

I've spent a while today messing with the M head, first order of business was that the spanner nut on top of the quill housing wasn't attached...just floating with a tabbed washer on top of the threads it should've been tightened down onto.

Now that I tightened that up theres considerably less play in the quill. Also looked thru some of the bridgeport manual/reference info I've got recently and discovered I'm missing an oil cup for the quill too...guess I can only assume bearings are probably toast. Beggars can't be choosers right?

Since I pulled the quill out, I figured hey why not figure out why the handwheel for the quill feed didn't work so great...discovered a missing clutch disk, I knew that there was a missing wheel on the left side of the head on the other side, there's only a nut there now to tighten it down. There's an empty space on the inside of the cover under that nut/washer, what would have gone there?

The brass bushing halves are pretty chewed up from lack of lubrication as well. Any ideas where I'm best to get these parts from? Does bridgeport even sell any of these parts anymore? Are there any good sites detailing a complete teardown of the M-head? If possible I'd like to completely go thru this and give everything a good wipe down and oil to keep it living until I can afford a J-head to throw on this machine.

H & W Machinery Repair might be able to help

Try calling H & W and talk with Henry.
H&W - Parts for Bridgeport Mills, New & Used Machinery, DRO's, Power Feeds
They do stock some Bridgeport parts, but I'm sure if he doesn't have it, he can steer you in the right direction.
I'm sure some of the other members here will offer you some ideas.
Poke around on Craigs list or Ebay too.
You could post an ad on Craigs list for a parts machine in your area.
Above all, post an ad here !!

ReidXV, thanks for the info. I'll give him a call once I'm sure of all the parts I need. Eek.

I pulled the pulley guard/motor off the mill to check it out and blow out the dust. Knew that I was lacking the oiler, so I thought I'd make sure that at least the PATH for the oil to flow was ok.

Ended up taking a 3/16" drill bit to get all the packed wood dust, metal shavings, oil/grease/whatever out. Once that was done I had to brake clean the crap the bit didn't take out, out, and use compressed air to get everything blown thru the oil passage beyond the straight I could use the bit in. All in all took about 40 mins to get it clear enough to blow thru and clean enough to not be throwing more shit thru the bearings in the quill.

Once that was clear, I reassembled and thought I should try washing out the quill with some brake clean, got a lot of metal and wood particles out...Eek! dried it out and gave it some 30wt oil to keep it moving. Eventually that's going to need new bearings for sure, guess I need to start saving up.

Looks like in addition to the oiler I will also need a new belt, bendable lock washer and nut for the spindle drive pulley, clockspring for the quill, clutch disk for the fine quill feed, and the knurled handle for engaging the fine quill feed.

I also cleaned a bunch of grease out of the ways and pulled all the zerks, so new oil zerks, some vactra and an oiler. Isn't fixing machinery fun?

Back