What's new
What's new

HLV-H threading lever - parts & installation?

bschena

Plastic
I've had my HLV-H (S/N: HLV-H-9468-T) for about 10 years, but it came without the "quick acting" threading lever on the compound/top slide. I always thought it was a standard feature, but mine only has a "blank" installed where it should be (see pic).

Anyone know where I can buy the parts to add one to my machine?

Is it difficult to install?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'd like to make threading easier!

Bruce
Menlo Park, CA

Attachments

• 2017-09-10 20.03.09.jpg
    2017-09-10 20.03.09.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 136
What you are looking at is copying the lever that locks the carriage and figuring out what that shaft should look like (the shaft that goes into the hole). Plastic balls with threaded inserts are a dime a dozen, almost. Hardinge parts department is another idea.

It's worth contacting the Hardinge parts supplier for your area just in case. Many parts are pretty reasonably priced, but some are not, such as the $1,503.00 I was quoted for a 5" long parallel sided gib...

Good Luck!

Umm, you have a lathe. May even have (or have access to) a milling machine... Bloody well make one! It isn't rocket surgery. :angry:

Right.

One small shaft with a spline.
A small collar with a threaded hole (5/16-18) on the side. The side is beveled the same as the other collars on you machine.
A 5/16 diameter shaft threaded (5/16-18)on both ends. One end is screwed into the collar, the other end has a black plastic ball screwed onto it.

My lathe was missing the shaft and ball when I bought it. The collar was actually threaded 5/16 - 24 for the shaft and ball. I ordered them from McMaster for a very reasonable price (couple bucks each.

Back