What's new
What's new

Hardinge Quick Change toolroom lathe

waynes

Cast Iron
I don't frequent this forum on PM, however I did do some research on the quick change toolroom lathe here some time back, so I thought I would share this add.

It's number 39, the cross feed screw is broken, and some of the TA is missing. Overhead drive, collet rack with some collets, faceplate, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 4 way toolpost. He's asking $2000. Lathe is in the Toronto On area. If the link doesn't work, it's on kijiji in the Toronto GTA area. That's about all I know of it.

EARLY HARDING CATERACT TOOL ROOM LATHE (1915) REDUCED - Oshawa / Durham Region Tools & Hardware For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

Here are the two better photo's he posted. Would that be the original colour? Looks like it needs some cleaning, but at least it's not all polished up with scotchbrite.

Attachments

• 3523gj3_20.jpg
    3523gj3_20.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 857
  • 2655ge2_20 (533x800).jpg
    2655ge2_20 (533x800).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 491
Seems a little expensive to me, considering it is almost unusable with the broken cross slide feed screw... I wonder what the rest of the lathe looks like.

A broken screw is not much worse than a typically worn screw. It depends upon what is broken and if there is something like a gear or crank handle that is lost or too bad to save. I have cut new screws with 10 TPI square threads. Cranks are easy to get. A gear would probably have to be made to match. The taper attachment follower is a simple part to make. As Tyler knows, there are some parts for this model that are almost worth $2000 in terms of the skilled hours required to make one from scratch.

Larry

He has the broken parts, I believe the drive gear for the feeds had been welded to the crossfeed screw. We had sent a few emails back and forth the last time he listed it. At the time, I was interested, but now have a project 10EE instead. I agree the 2K is a fair bit on the high side, but as far as I know, this is the earliest complete (mostly anyways) one of it's kind. But there doesn't seem to be a big market for antique / rare lathes - they don't seem to be worth any more than common lathes are. At least the Hardinge Quick change has a lot of the features you get on a more modern machine.

Wayne

looks very savable to me

and he has reduced it to $1300.... so there is room to move there....

where does it fit into our numbers then ...is this one already known?

Regards

John

(no 231 ..in the UK)

Now at $1000, which is where it was 6 months ago when he originally listed it. He had some calls at that time, hopefully someone will buy it. If I didn't already have 4 lathes and too many projects, I'd get it myself. Certainly better price than most machines listed, and more interesting to boot.

Wayne.

It is not listed on Kijiji any more. Does anyone have the e-mail or phone number of the seller.

Is the overhead drive original. I would be interested in that for my lathe?

Thanks.

Bruce

Hardinge Cataract Qc Lathe

Went and had a look at it and yes there are some issues with the lathe. From my estimation I think they are repairable. Am working on whether to purchase this for a winter project and if so what it's value is. If there is anybody on the forum who has one please chime in as to whether this is an easy lathe to use and what your feelings on it are. I understand there might be a forum member who has one of these in the Buffalo NY area. If so would you be adverse to a visit to see yours if I buy this and need some help working on it. I have family in St Catharines I visit occasionally so crossing the border is not an big issue.
HH Mulder

Mulder,

I really enjoy using my Quick Change lathe, and it has performed very well, even with its 2 main flaws: missing/broken backgears and cracked spindle. It has been a great project for me to rebuild and make parts for so far, and if there was another one up for sale near me, I would be very tempted to pick another one up!

It is as easy to use as most other lathes, but in the case of threading, it really shines! Threading is extreamly easy with this lathe due to leadscrew reverse, automatic feed stops, and quick retracting compound. This lathe also has native 5c spindle nose which is nice since 5c tooling is cheap and easy to get.

You might want to take a good close look at the back gears on the lathe, since that is probably the most fragile part and can be missing teeth. The back gear if damaged can be repaired and wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it could help you negotiate a better price.

Be advised, parts are pretty rare for these lathes, so you will probably have to make everything you need for the lathe, but if you already have another lathe and a mill to make the new cross slide feed screw and other items, I would go for it. Also make sure to take a very close look around the area of the lathe to get every last part/item related to the lathe.

Tyler

Back