What's new
What's new

How to set up for use a Hardinge HLV-H taper attachment ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure I could figure it out if I was at the machine, but while sitting here drinking morning coffee 16 miles away, just wondering what the procedure is.

I presume the attachment, which is at present slid all the way to the right side and not connected, is slid to aprox where you need it, the slide block is bolted to the end of the cross slide....but how do you disconnect the cross screw nut from the cross slide and/or any other "tips" one might have in that regard ?

Milacron,

How I use it, I do as you say above, then, I check my angle, I have a small 3" sine bar that I lay on its side, and push the "stack" against the slide rail, with an indicator mounted to the carriage, I indicate till I read zero across the 3 full inches. Once the angle is verified, I remove the 9/16" headed bolt from the carriage, the one that holds that plate down, in the slot, in the center. that frees up the carriage from the lead screw, and then is free to float.

Best of luck,
Chris

Hardinge used to mail free paper operator manuals. It is probably online now. Anyway, here are the operator manual instructions for the taper attachment.

Larry

HLVH Taper Instructions.jpgHLVH Taper Instructions 2.jpg

Interesting to see Milacron's post ... Sometimes Hardinge, sometimes Schaublin (among others) but set me thinking ... I've had a good number of Schaubin 102's and never thought about "Taper Turning" on them and don't remember there being a specific accessory ... I knew there was a good reason to ditch Schaublin and buy Hardinge ...

And of course using the Taper Turning Attachment ... exactly as Larry says ... but MISSED the bit that the tool must be "On centre" - thanks Larry!

John :typing::cheers:

Back