What's new
What's new

I picked up a 1974 variable speed head machine today.

DDoty

Plastic
Thanks for having me here. Pretty excited to have a mill. I bought a grizzly 4003g lathe a few years ago now and it has been so handy that a mill became a obvious addition. I read here a lot off and on but the search for a mill caused me to want to sign up so that I can ask questions once in a while. It has a servo brand x power feed and an older but functional Analam DRO. Head runs very smooth and quiet, in fact I have heard few sound so good. I will get things cleaned good and adjusted and optimized as best it can be and decide if I need to do more refurbishing at that point. Still has original paint that looks nice on top half and getting more tired the lower you look :). Hope to get it off the trailer tomorrow as I am old and whipped for today.

I hear some say the threaded hole on top of the ram is for lifting and moving and some say not to do that ?? I guess that is my first question. I got a 4000 pound forklift today too and it would be nice to be able to lift it there to get it off the trailer and put it into place.

At the machine tool dealer that I hang out at we use a 4X6 piece of hard wood cross wise under the ram . Have the ram dovetails about 4" out from the base ,lower the knee and adjust table in/out to get it balanced.Chunk of wood we use is about 30"long ,keep the forks close together and move SLOWLY no matter how you do it and no more than a couple of inches off the ground while moving.
Edit: if using slings chains etc around the ram use softeners to prevent damage to sling or ram dovetails.

Loaded it with forks with wood blocks under ram ends as suggested. Was going to lift with eye bolt and chain hoist and drive out from under it until this afternoon when I remembered one of my best friends saying a few days ago he got a bigger forklift and was selling his 10 year tried and true Nissan 4000 for $2500, so it is coming home with me in the morning and I will unload the same way I loaded.

The threaded hole is there for an eye-bolt. Only use this to hang the ram in mid air for a spray paint job. The sling strap method for a hoist or the 4x6 method are better. I'm going to reject any timber that has knots in it.

Got the forklift home today and got the mill off the trailer. I duct taped pine 1x4's and feel good about how it worked, why am I hearing so much about thick timbers between the forks and the ram dovetails ??

I don't think the wood needs to be very thick. We always used pieces of 2X4, as that's what we had laying around. I've seen them moved with no blocks at all, but don't recommend that as the ram could be damaged, and metal-on-metal is slippery. I saw a big radial drill press dropped because they picked it up directly on the forks.

Just wanted to give props to American Rotarty for great service. I just ordered my new 5 hp Rotary phase Converter from them Thursday afternoon and it just already arrived here on Saturday.

Back