What's new
What's new

ID Wiring Layout on HLV-H

majohnson

Cast Iron
Everyone, I hope it ok that I start another thread. With my wiring layout being so different them what Hardinge has done in the past when the unit were new. I am hoping someone can ID the shop or person that might of preformed the work. I had never look at another Hardinge so I didn’t realize the difference.

All the electrical systems work as Hardinge intended. The one thing that is different is my motor reverse switch is on the head unit. All the HLV-H have had the coolant swith there instead. It would be nice to get a wiring diagram and figure out who might have rebuilt the lathe years ago. The previous owner didn’t seem to know any of the lathes history. There isn’t any buyers remorse on my part, I am shock at how close I can keep parts.
67AB40C8-4AB4-4691-9580-4776FB3771B5.jpgA89F56F1-AE6B-4B7E-9C67-75EF51CA1BEF.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the wiring diagram but I do know that they are a little bit different in different eras. We have three here that were bought new at different times and they each have a slightly different button layout. We just sent a fourth HLV-H down the road and it was different again and there is another in the stamping dept. that is different again.

Everyone, I hope it ok that I start another thread. With my wiring layout being so different them what Hardinge has done in the past when the unit were new.

Better title this time. Good job!

You need to remember that back in the day, most US machine tool vendors offered "special" electrical packages. The factory that I last worked in was designed and built in the late 60s early 70s. All machines were 480v 3 phase. So, any machine purchase would need to have low voltage control circiuts so that the operator would not be close to the high voltage 3 phase.

That's just one example, and I've seen many more from remote starts to operator panels on manual machines. Back then, if you wanted it, they built it.

Now, most machine tools come from the factory wired for 220 vac 3 phase. If you want something else, maybe the dealer will get you a transformer (big maybe). Most of the time, whomever buys the equipment is left to decide how to install. All the machine tool builder does is provide requirements. I bought a new CNC lathe a few years ago and one of my requirements was high pressure (1,000 psi) coolant. You would have thought that I was asking for the world.
JR

There is a transformer that not wired into the panel. I spoken with a couple different service guys, they all comment that they had not seen any Hardinge wired like mine. Even Linda at Hardinge said the same. There isn’t a tag inside with a diagram code. There is another cabinet on the left side that has master switch, shut down switch, coolant controls, and work light. The looms all have the same crimp on connectors.

There is no question it been rebuilt. The bed is .003 under factory, and is in great shape. All the ways are in great shape, there is flaking still on some surfaces. I have taken a lot of the lathe for cleaning and servicing.

Back