What's new
What's new

J head belt problem

anchorman

Titanium
Hi,

I am trying to change the belts on my J-head bridgeport (j68803) 1 hp motor. I got an A-32 belt, and an A-33 and it seems like I need something in between. The 32 is a bit tight, and the 33 is too loose to tighten all the way. Anyone know what the proper size is? is it some B.S. proprietary thing that I need to buy from a bridgeport dealer? also, where do I get one of the cogged belts? it seems a bit of an odd size.

thanks,

jon byler

the belts that I have seen on ebay are for the 2J heads, and I don't know if they are the same. I also have the problem that I am buying this for the machine I have at work, and they won't let me buy stuff on ebay with their purchasing card. I found the spec for the V belt, which is available from mcmaster-carr, etc. for about $3.50. It is about a 4L345. I have heard also 4L344. A belts would work, but they don't come in the proper length. Standard 4L light industrail belts also come in 1/2" sizes (34 1/2" etc.).

Sadly there is nothing in the Bridgeport manual that I have other than:
timing belt 1-1/4"

for the back gear belt. If anyone has an actual spec for this belt, I would very much appreciate it.

thanks,

jon

I assume that this

is the place that Chipmaster is refering to?

I'm helping Jon with the mill. The original vee belt was too short. One couldn't change the speeds because the adjustment was at the far end of the slot, and you couldn't make it loosen enough to swap pulleys. So if anyone knows the proper size, please share.

I've searched the web a little and I've gotten answers from 4L340 to 4L346. I can't read the number on the original (too small) belt.

The other belt, the toothed timing belt is also broken. This one we are also having trouble with, is there an off the shelf sized belt for this application, or is it more specialized than that?

Thanks for the info Chipmaster Bill.

-Keith

go to your local car spares shop ...
and have a look at typical fan-belts for four cylinder cars built in the 60's 70's and early eighties ...one will be the right one.

........mark

Both the j-head and 2j use the same timing (cogged) belt, BP part #1182106. Unfortunately I don't have any other specs on it.

On the v-belt, this ebay seller mataco also has a website and an 800#. And they list the right belt as an a-33

Back