What's new
What's new

J Head w/VFD and Vise $2,000

Janderso

Aluminum
Hi, I want a Bridgeport Mill. I saw this add on Craigslist and called the guy. He said it was a good machine and in serviceable condition. I have not done enough research yet on the Bridgeport to know what I am looking at. For $2,000 it seems worth a 3 hour drive to check out.
I know this is not a fair question and the picture is crap but what do you think?
If it works as advertised and has no obvious damage, quiet operation-nothing obvious it has to be worth it right?
Thanks,
Jeff00g0g_cKFO08AdOTQ_600x450 (2).jpg

I’ll take a stab at this. Knowing what little we can from the photo and the subject line of this thread, looks like a fair deal. Looking at the photo, which is pretty low resolution, there’s nothing obviously wrong with it that I notice.
Might even appear to look cared for for some reason. Obviously too hard to tell from the photo. There are a number of threads on practical machinist, and all over the Internet. about how to look over a Bridgeport, or any milling machine, and ways to look for the most obvious or common problems. One of which is a noisy head, which appears you know about.
Maybe this helps you?
I shouldn’t even be checking my practical machinist threats right now, I don’t have time to search for useful threads to look over machine, I would be surprised if it wasn’t a sticky type note at the top of one of these forums, like the Bridgeport for him, or doing a search in the practical machinist window for looking over a new machine. If I have time later on, I’ll see if I remember good one.

Bernie

Yeah you are right I am not providing enough information to warrant valid opinions. I just got back from looking at a co-worker's Dad's J-Head Bridgeport. I wanted to at least have a reference point before I made the trip. I must admit, the one I just looked at had broken-rusted-stuck parts but it was a Bridgeport, he paid $1,500. Needed lots of TLC. I may just wait a bit and keep looking.
Thanks.

Ill go ahead and bite...

Step pulley head, riser block, no dro or power feeds from what i can tell.

Have you seen pics of the ways?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Just as a comparison, I paid $1000 for a 1965 J head step pulley 42 inch machine. It has gearbox power feed on x axis (broken Gears), Servo 150 feed on y axis (working) Mitutoyo DRO. The head is quiet in direct drive and has a slight whine in back gear, came with a 12 inch yuasa rotary table, 10 in and 8 in palmgren cross slide rotary table, Bridgeport 6 inch vice, collets, about 30 end mills a few shell mills and fly cutters lots of bits and reamers. The table and saddle gibs have been shimmed with. 010 stock, knee gib is still OK. Biggest downside is. 080 x backlash and. 025 y backlash. The table has been abused and could use refinishing if you were obsessed over it. Overall a steal considering I could get a grand just for the one 12 inch table. Been looking for about 6 months and 2 deals slipped through my fingers in that time. Be patient. A good deal will come along.

Just as a comparison, I paid $1000 for a 1965 J head step pulley 42 inch machine. It has gearbox power feed on x axis (broken Gears), Servo 150 feed on y axis (working) Mitutoyo DRO. The head is quiet in direct drive and has a slight whine in back gear, came with a 12 inch yuasa rotary table, 10 in and 8 in palmgren cross slide rotary table, Bridgeport 6 inch vice, collets, about 30 end mills a few shell mills and fly cutters lots of bits and reamers. The table and saddle gibs have been shimmed with. 010 stock, knee gib is still OK. Biggest downside is. 080 x backlash and. 025 y backlash. The table has been abused and could use refinishing if you were obsessed over it. Overall a steal considering I could get a grand just for the one 12 inch table. Been looking for about 6 months and 2 deals slipped through my fingers in that time. Be patient. A good deal will come along.

Reality check, 1000 for a 12" r\table? I paid 150.00 for my Yuasa 12" and 400 for a Walter 18" tilting table. The palmgrens probably were not worth hauling home.

Being you are in Cal. if in reasonable condition that would be a decent price for a BP with no tooling /power. Back on eastern part of the country $1200 or so I would say. Like real estate location is everything .

Reality check, 1000 for a 12" r\table? I paid 150.00 for my Yuasa 12" and 400 for a Walter 18" tilting table. The palmgrens probably were not worth hauling home.

I guess if I lived in Ohio I would find the stuff dirt cheap, all day, every day. But the reality in my area is different then your reality. Top dollar for stuff here unless you get very lucky. I've seen used yuasa 12" sold on ebay for $850 in worse shape than what I have. All beat up with marks in the table and flaked paint all around, The palmgrens new sell for 850. All of mine are mint. why would I leave them behind? As part of my lot, I grabbed a brown and sharpe #2 6 x 18 surface grinder with automatic table and magnetic chuck for $300. Came with a spare cabinet full of grinding wheels. A guy in a unit a few doors down offered me 1500 for the grinder before it was off the trailer. I sold a Logan 820 for $1000. I guess you would sell it for scrap value. One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

2 grand would be a good deal here in the Carolinas unless it's badly worn. Bottom of the barrel here is about $2500, regardless of brand.

I just spoke to the seller. He has the power hooked up and said it is ready for inspection. He said the gear head is quiet but the table has beginner marks.
I think it’s worth a look.
Transport is the thing. I don’t want to damage it by not knowing how to lift it. The factory hook seems like a plan

I just spoke to the seller. He has the power hooked up and said it is ready for inspection. He said the gear head is quiet but the table has beginner marks.
I think it’s worth a look.
Transport is the thing. I don’t want to damage it by not knowing how to lift it. The factory hook seems like a plan

You can also just lift them by the ram.

f7d377235220adc6f34916ec04858621.jpg

Moving a Vertical Mill and Small Lathe with a Forklift and Engine Hoist - YouTube

I've moved my 15,180 K&T 5CK the same, and Cincinati has a diagram showing their horizontal mills should be lifted from the overarm.

I just moved a B'Port with an engine hoist, as I've done a number of times over the years. I unbolt it at the turret, and take the ram, head, and turret off as a unit. That makes the rest of it lighter and a lot less top-heavy. I then lower the knee all the way and move the saddle in. I wrap a sling down around the knee right up against the column, and lift it from there.

IMG_3940.jpg

Those of you that live in or near the manufacturing states have a lot more opportunities. I saw several Bridgeport’s in PA, CT, Oh, etc.
I live in Northern Ca, we have few opportunities.
I have two projects already ( meaning a 13 single SB lathe and a Marvel 612 bandsaw) so I have considered just buying a new Taiwan mill for $6-$7 grand. Decisions decisions

I am going to check out the Bridgeport today. I spoke to the owner, he has it powered up so I can run it through the paces.
From his add:
Selling my J head bridgeport, comes with a VFD for running the machine on single phase power with variable speed, includes vice.
Has an original bridgeport power feed on the X axis but missing some parts like the stop rod, and not wired up, dont know if the unit is complete inside or not.
Will help load but do not have a fork lift.

Machine is under power, quiet and the VFD works, the back gear is *Not* loud and working properly.
Machine is pretty heavily used, minimal factory scraping marks are still visible on the ways and the table has some apprentice marks in it where people have accidentally drilled into it.

If I end up buying this machine moving it has me a bit nervous. I'll do it right but need to source some equipment.

I think it's worth a look.

I am back, I went up to see the old Bridgeport Milling Machine. It's been around the Horn and back but I think it will be OK. I made some chips, I looked it over pretty good. If I choose to have the head refurbished can I still find a source for the 1 HP model, with the stepped pulleys? That is my single biggest concern. It is usable right now, it needs a good cleaning,adjusting and lubrication. Can I fix what's loose, worn out? The price was reduced to $1;500
Take a look.
Thank you,
Jeffo view.jpgbroken auto feed.jpgauto feed.jpgb port.jpgVise.jpg
Sorry about the cock eyed pics. They aren't that way on my end.
Serial # J33173

Doesn't look too bad, I've seen much worse. The number you gave is the head number which really means nothing. The machine serial number is at the front of the knee. Here's a good place to get the year: Bridgeport Milling Machines

Then, go here and get a manual: KneeMills.com - Knee Mill Documentation

The mill looks to be pre 70s. No one-shot oiler and zerks on the saddle. Saying that, it's probably been greased. 6F power feed. You did OK.
JR

Thanks JR!
My Serial number is BR131733 1970 was a good year, I was going into High School.
Great information.
I will pick it up this weekend then the fun begins.

Back