What's new
What's new

Kurt DX6 on Bridgeport Swivel Base?

beeser

Cast Iron
A friend of mine has a Bridgeport swivel base that is willing to give me. Will this fit on my Kurt DX6 vise?

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred swivel bases get taken off, stuffed in a corner and forgotten. I know I could find two or three
around our shop. Do you have a need for it? Or do you just think it would be handy to have? If your reason is the latter only I
wouldn't bother with it...

I think I've used my swivel base once in 20 years. My Kurt is keyed. Set on the table, tighten down, check for square and make chips. A swivel base is just extra wieght and height.
JR

I don't see anyone answer if the swivel base would fit?

If you can get I for free, sure, why not get it.

I have one my own (bridgeport vise style), and several at work, from the danish machine producer Pedersen).
I have used the swivel many times. I wouldn't be without it.

I have used the swivel many times. I wouldn't be without it.

A swivel base is nice to have, but necesary? No, there is usually another way to make a part other than a swivel base. None of our CNCs had swivel bases and we still used them. Like I said, once in 20 years and IIRC, that was to make 10 of the same part. For one or two parts, I'd never mess with a base. Just my $0.02 worth
JR

BTW, I don't think the PB base will fit a Kurt. I think BP pin is larger and so is the BC.

Of course it depens on what you are doing. I work in a repair shop, and the swivel base are sometimes found handy.

And especially if you can get it for free.

Just my 50øre..

Another BP guy said that using a swivel base would add more errors into your work. Never used one myself but could see a use for it, even if a swivel or a swivel there produces an an even part.

Back